Monday, July 11, 2011

Emilia's Review on Blood Red Road


Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Publisher: Margaret K McElderry
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 464
Source: Pulse It/Library
Series: Dustlands #1
The Other Books: Rebel Heart
SeekAmazon, Goodreads
To escape, she will have to fight.To survive, she will have to lead.

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant dust storms. That’s fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother, Lugh, is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives bearing four cloaked horsemen, Saba’s world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on a quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: She’s a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, relentless action, and an epic love story.

This review was updated on May 11, 2012
The girl on the cover facing the sandstorm, and desert mountains. You can tell this book was going to have a strong lead, about this girl surviving. I was not disappointed.
We jest stand there. Stand an stare. We git all kinda weather here. Hotwinds, firestorms, tornadoes, an once or twice we even had snow in high summer. So I seen plenty of dust storms. But never one like this.

That's one bastard of a cloud, I says.
I did get to read this for free on Simon Pulse but I had to get a full copy to read. I heard great things about it that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.

Okay, so I did want this book right away. Once I opened and read the first pages, I froze. This book was written different from most books. There were errors, so many grammar errors. I kept on reading, and I just couldn’t get into it. So, I ignored it. I switched my books around so, I didn’t have to look at it. I was disappointed in myself because I felt like I lost a fight. I never put a book down before, so it was hard for me.

Finally, I decided to just read it. I search Youtube for the audio excerpt. I wanted to hear how the narrator would read the book. So while the narrator read, I followed in the book. This is when I got really intrigued to the story. I loved how the story was written, it was so unique.

Saba is the younger twin of her brother Lugh. She compares herself to him a lot, and looks up to him, He was the leader out of the two. But Saba is also a very strong character, but she also has regular traits like fighting with her siblings. Unlike Lugh, he tries to keep everything civil but he also has some regular traits like hating the place where they live. They live in a desert, with sand storms and right now, a drought. Their father can read the stars, and he predicts things like the rain coming, and maybe their deaths.

When the horsemen came and took her brother, and killed her father, I was worried what would happen. I was glad that she wasn’t weak, and she never gave up the search for her brother. When her little sister, Emmi, doesn’t stay behind, that only pushes Saba to be stronger. She needed to take the lead, and take care of her sister. Some people take her and her sister, and now Saba is trapped in cage fighting arena. Even though escaping seems hopeless, Saba never gives up.

There is romance, but it didn’t go fast like most love books. It was pretty much the background but you didn’t forget the feelings Saba has towards Jack. The main point is more on Saba finding her brother, and protecting herself and Emmi.

Saba is strong, and a warrior. Someone you can look up to. She does have an attitude, but you get into her character so much that it’s doesn’t matter. Nero, I like how the author added a crow, the symbol of death, to be the lead's friend.

This book is great, and I am telling you, don’t put it down. It is very unique and you will definitely do not want miss on Saba’s adventures. I fell in love.
This is book one of the Dustlands Series. I can’t wait for the title and cover for the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment