Saturday, July 2, 2011

Emilia's Review on Wither

Wither
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 368
Source: Pulse It
The Other Books: Fever
What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every newborn has become a ticking genetic time bomb-males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape-to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taken his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant she is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.
This review was updated on May 10, 2012.
The cover is gorgeous. I loved the little caged bird and it’s the perfect symbol for this book.
I know girls disappear, but any number of things could come after that. Will I become a murdered reject? Sold into prostitution? These things have happened. There’s only one other option. I could become a bride.
A book all of us, Seekers, got to read for free. We absolutely adore it. I have never read dystopian novels before. I thought Drought by Pam Bachorz was a dystopian novel but was proven wrong. Wither gave me hope on other dystopian novels.

Can you imagine dying in only a few years? I couldn't. If girls did die at age 20, I would only have two years left to live. I definitely wouldn't want to marry someone, when I should live my life to the fullest. I would be taking chances, falling in love, and doing what I love most, write.

Or at least trying to find the cure this, and working with other people, because I would want better for my kids.

Rhine was noticed because of her unusual eyes. That's what saved her from the Gatherers, but it didn't help her escape. The Gatherers sell her to Linden, who is going to be her husband along with two other girls. His father controls the house and everyone in it. 

Vaughn is a creep, I thought, especially since he experiments on dead bodies around the house. He tries to find the cure to the virus that's about to kill his only son. Linden is innocent compared to his father. He seems to really adore Rhine, even though she can never feel the same about him. Rhine just wants to escape and find her twin brother, Rowan. As for Gabriel, he becomes the only friend for Rhine until they start to get closer.

I finally saw why everyone is crazy about this book. I absolutely LOVED it.

Rhine, she is strong but also weak at times. She definitely has a lot of curiosity. I especially love her eyes. I love her as the main character, and Lauren set her in a fantastic/scary world. 

Vaughn was my least favorite character. He is just so creepy, and there just so many wrong things about him.

My favorite part in the book, or the most memorable, is when Rhine and her sister wives are at the pool, there are some holographics that show creatures from the sea. I would love to have that kind of pool.
This is part of the Chemical Garden Trilogy, and the second book is called Fever. Cover will be revealed this month. Click on this -->Fever<-- for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment