Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gabrielle's Review for Haven


Haven
Publisher: Simon Pulse 
Release Date: February 22, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 416
Source: Pulse It
Rating: Escapable
The Other Books: Mirage
Extras: Facebook
A chilling destiny she can’t escape.
A devastating love she can’t resist.

Violet McKenna isn’t a normal girl with normal teenage issues; she has more to contend with than most people could handle. Violet thought she was just crazy when she had a vivid vision of her dad’s murder. Her life started falling apart when her premonition came true. She’s had flashes of other events too–the problem was nobody believed her until she found a new school: Winterhaven.

At Winterhaven, Violet finally feels like she belongs. She quickly finds a close group friends and discovers that they too have psychic ‘gifts’—as do all the students at Winterhaven. But as soon as she feels settled she discovers the most intriguing and alluring boy she has ever met, and things quickly go awry. As the attraction between them grows, intense visions of the boy’s death start to haunt her. In her premonitions, the secret he is unwilling to share begins to reveal itself. And to Violet’s horror, she learns that their destinies are intertwined in a critical–and deadly–way.
This review was updated on May 10, 2012.
I really don’t understand the butterfly and what it symbolizes. But other than that, I thought it was an okay cover since Winterhaven is a school.
I can't really explain it, but once I saw that Winterhaven brochure in the pile that Patsy had dumped in my lap, I somehow knew that this was the place for me. I'd been so sure of it that I'd actually refused to apply anywhere else.
This gives a new twist to fantasy/paranormal stories. I especially love the new idea on vampires. It's unique and I would definitely want this on my shelf. Can't wait for a sequel.

For starters, I like the whole school idea. It is very unique in its own way. Violet is a strong, likable character. She is crushing on the school’s crush Aidan. Aidan is a smart guy, and distant from others. Violet also gets a group of friends, which are fun and are there for her.

The school has different types of students. I don’t want to give anything away but if you are into paranormal then you will definitely like this book.  It was addicting. The ending was especially beautiful and breath-taking. I know some people are getting tired of the whole vampire stories, but I think you should give this book a read.

I think this book does have some similarities to other books. I am getting a mixture of others like House of Night, Evernight, Twilight, and some others come into mind. I am not going to waste my time comparing this book to others, because I am tired of reading about how every story is being compared to Twilight series.

Aidan was my favorite character ever. He’s smart and is trying to figure out a cure for himself. He hates being in an teenage boy’s body forever. Other than that, I really would want to experience the Aidan Effect.

Dr. Blackwell, I didn’t trust him since the beginning. He’s no Dumbledore that’s for sure. He gave me the chills.

My favorite part was the ending. The visions lead you up to the ending but it was just breath-taking when you actually read what happens.
There is going to be a sequel. Kristi has not revealed the title or cover yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment