Sunday, August 14, 2011

Emilia's Review on Cloaked

Cloaked
AuthorAlex Flinn
PublisherHarperTeen
Release Date: February 08, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Extras: Trailer
I’m not your average hero. I actually wasn’t your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with the curse. And the frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I’ve ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don’t believe me? I didn’t believe it either. But you’ll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got CLOAKED.
I liked the covers for some of Alex Flinn’s books, Beastly and A Kiss in Time, all have the same single flower cover with thorns for the words.
I heard great things about the book Beastly, and that Alex Flinn was great at story-telling. I couldn’t get my hands on Beastly so, I gave this one a read instead.

The story begins with Johnny working at his family business, a shoe repair shop. The shoe repair shop is located in South Beach, at hotel called Coral Reef Grand. Johnny’s family has been there since his grandfather started the business. It was handed down to their son, Johnny’s father, but now it’s only Johnny and his mother. His father disappeared after Johnny was two but his mom still has hope of her husband returning. Johnny not so much. He has other things to worry about like working all day to pay off all the bills they owe. His teenage life is mostly about working and taking care of his mom.

Unlike his friend Ryan, who wants Johnny to take a break from work to see the princess. Princess Victoriana is from country named Aloria. Johnny knows this will be the only excitement he gets probably for his lifetime, so he goes to see her come into the hotel. What Johnny doesn’t know, is the princess is going to be asking for his help.

The princess sends him on a unbelievable adventure. She wants him to believe in magic and everything that comes with it, like witches, giants, talking animals, and her brother that is now a frog prince. She tells him that she can’t trust anyone else, because there might be spies from another country that wants her to marry their prince. Princess Victoriana offers him money, Johnny can’t refuse knowing that 10,000 will help his family out a lot. She also offers to marry him if he succeeds, which he doesn’t turn that down since she is really beautiful. So, he accepts her quest and heads out to a world where he soon starts to believe in magic. But this quest also puts him in danger, and soon one of his friends also. Someone doesn’t want him to find the missing prince, and they are not afraid to kill him.

The story definitely a good fantasy tale. The great thing about it, it was set in our time so, you kind of get the feeling maybe there is magic out there. There also a cutesy romance that is fun to read. The reason for the three stars is because I simply liked it, not really loved it. It was also a fast paced read.
Alex Flinn announced a new book series, with the first set to be released 2012. It’s titled The Kendra Chronicles, first book Bewitching. Here’s the very gorgeous cover, quite different from some of her others. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment