Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Emilia's review on The Lying Game

The Lying Game
AuthorSara Shepard
Publishers: Harper Teen
Release Date: Dec. 7, 2010
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 320
Source: Bought
Series: The Lying Game series Book One
The Other Books: Never Have I Ever, Two Truths and a Lie
Extras: Trailer, Series Website, TV show
Buy at: Amazon

I had a life anyone would kill for.
Then someone did.


The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.


Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?


From Sara Shepard, the #1 New York Times bestselling author  of the Pretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting new series about secrets, lies and killer consequences.


Let the Lying Game begin.

●●●●●●●●

Rating – 4/5 stars

Judge the Cover – Most twins dress alike, act alike, and switch positions. In this book, Emma has no choice but to take over Sutton’s life. I think the cover fits the storyline and really gorgeous.

Selecting – Ivy handed me this to me since we heading to the store tomorrow to get the second book, Never Have I Ever.

Review – My mind has been so caught up with dystopian novels of future worlds that I forgot how we live nowadays. My mind was thinking things, like I wonder when we will get robots, or when zombies are going to rule the earth. Would I be prepared to fight either of them? Yeah, I even had a couple of nightmares between the two.

I’m glad Ivy sent this book to me. I only read one book of Sara’s, and that was Pretty Little Liars. That book had so many questions and few answers. After reading this book, I starting to think maybe I should start reading the Pretty Little Liars series. I have seen the show and know that it is different from the books. I also know ABC Family is making The Lying Game into a show, but it is also going to be different from the book. This makes me sad since, the book was FANTASTIC the way it was. Why change it?

Anyways, the book starts off with Sutton Mercer waking up in a bathroom, not knowing how she got there. In walks unknown girl named Emma Paxton, who looks exactly like her. Sutton yells at Emma but soon finds out that Emma can’t see her. Because Sutton Mercer is dead.

The book switches off between Emma being in third person point of view, and Sutton’s commentary on the side, which is in first person. It is not that hard to follow, actually a pretty easy read. I read it in like four hours.

Continuing with the story, Emma is a foster kid living in Las Vegas. She gets blamed for a crime she didn’t commit and her foster mom kicks her out. Emma doesn’t know where to go until she receives an email from her twin sister Sutton. Sutton wants to meet Emma, and Emma can’t believe her luck. But when Emma arrives where Sutton lives, everyone confuses her for Sutton. She plays along thinking Sutton will step out any second now. That is until she gets an anonymous letter saying Sutton is dead, and it tells her to act like Sutton or she’s next.

Emma is determined to find out who the killer is, while ghost Sutton is trying to figure out how she died. But when she discovers what The Lying Game is, and how Sutton played pranks on almost everyone, anyone can be a suspect. Even, Sutton’s best friends and sister are suspects.

I loved the story and I am now continuing the story with its sequel Never Have I Ever. You should definitely read the book before the TV show comes out, because I think it’s better than it.

Question: Does anyone else suspect Charlotte’s father to be a suspect? He seemed suspicious, and Charlotte says he’s supposed to be in Tokyo for the past month.

Best Character – Emma, she took up Sutton’s life because she has no choice. But she decides to find out who killed Sutton, which takes a lot of courage.

Worst Character – I think every character played their part in the story. Although, I really don’t like how Sutton treated her friends or some other people. She was cruel, but in ghost form, she doesn’t remember any of the things she did, so she also thinks some of things she did were bad.

Favorite Part – When Emma and Ethan are talking in the car, and there are some things revealed.

Author’s NEWS – August 2, 2011, The Lying Game has a sequel that came out today called Never I Have Ever. The third book in the series is called Two Truths and A Lie.



Now for the ABC Family's The Lying Game promo and preview. The show comes out August 15, 2011.




No comments:

Post a Comment