Monday, August 29, 2011

Emilia's Review on Misfit

Misfit
AuthorJon Skovron
PublisherAbrams 
Release Date: August 1, 2011
Format: E-Book
Pages: 384
Source: NetGalley
Extras:
Buy at: Amazon

Are some girls just born to cause trouble?


Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.


●●●●●●●●

Rating – 4/5 stars

Judge the Cover – This cover was so different from others, I became interested. I saw on Goodreads and kept on coming back to it, deciding if I should buy it or not. The cover sold the book to me.

Selecting – NetGalley provided the book, but after I saw it was already out, I bought it. The summary kind of made me not want to buy it but, than I just couldn’t get over the cover. I don’t know why I love the cover so much, since it’s so simple and yet it is also so striking.

Review – I was worried. I read the summary and it made me not want to read it, but once I started it, I couldn’t stop. The story is pretty addicting. Jon has created a new perspective of the world around us, and I love it. His details were enticing and I can picture them clearly in my head as if I was there. I hope for a sequel.

Jael Thompson has not had a normal kid’s life. Her father has taken her away from many places, moving across the world in a matter of years. She settles into different Catholic schools, until her father decides it’s time to move again. This is because Jael isn’t like normal sixteen year old girls. She is halfbreed, half demon and half human. Up until her birthday, her demon side had been locked away, making her just like any human girl.

The reason for the run around is because Jael and her father have a powerful demon looking for them named Baliel. He hates abominations that are known as halfbreeds like Jael. He murder her mother, and now he’s after her.

Jael understands they need to hide and keep running, but she just wants a normal life. She wants a boyfriend, to keep her friends, and to finish high school. But this all changes, when her demon half becomes a part of her again, and she now sees the world in a new perspective. She learns that everything she was taught about Heaven, Hell, and the demons like her, were all wrong. She’s not evil but actually unique being that has some gifts. With these gifts, she might be able to do what everyone thinks she can do. Stop Baliel.

The story was good, not a fast paced story but it was great read. I read it in a few hours. There are a ton of bible references, but its part of the book. I suggest this book to anyone who likes paranormal stories.

Best Character – Astarte, I love her character. She is strong and weak at times. When I picture her, I see a beauty, strength, and love. Skorvon did a wonderfully job developing her story alongside with Jael’s.

Worst Character – There were no bad characters, which happens rarely. In Misfit, I think the characters play along well together. Although Brittany seemed like a very emotional teen, who did the deed too quickly, you actually understand her character more towards the ending of the book.

Favorite Part – Paul and Astarte were talking during many late night meetings, mostly about Astarte’s life and the demon world. I found the chapter informative and interesting.

Author’s NEWS – There isn’t much to say right now, because the book only came out this month. Hopefully, there will be a sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment