Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ivy's Review on Imaginary Girls

Imaginary Girls
AuthorNova Ren Suma
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 352
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Extras: Trailer
Secrets never stay below the surface

Chloe’s older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can’t be captured or caged. After a night with Ruby’s friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers a dead body floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away—away from home, away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home at last, she finds a precarious and deadly balance waiting for her. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

Imaginary Girls is a masterfully distorted vision of family with twists that beg for their secrets to be kept.
Cover itself made me want to read it. It’s so stunning and elegant, and definitely an eye-catcher.
In this book, you really have to pay attention to details, but most mystery books are like this. Suma has no problems delivering the details in a fantastic way. Her writing style is unique and captivating.

Ruby and Chloe are like inseparable until a devastating event happened to Chloe while swimming in their local reservoir. Her sister claims that Chloe can swim across the lake and back and bring an item from the sunken city below. Ruby is kind of the town’s celebrity. Everyone loves her and wants her attention. They believe everything she says, and they do everything she wants. Chloe included.

When Ruby tells Chloe to swim across the lake, Chloe doesn’t hesitate. She swims and discovers a body of one of her classmates. After this event, Chloe is taken away from Ruby by her father. She now leaves in Pennsylvania and misses her sister and the life she had with her. Ruby doesn’t like the separation and comes for Chloe, and wants to spend the summer with her. When Chloe comes home, there are a few surprises waiting for her.

I know that is kind of repeating the book's summary but you can't really say much without ruining the book. I love the author but the book itself… I really don’t have much to say. I can’t decide if I liked it or disliked it, because to me, I was confused by the story. I love her writing but the story seemed stuck. I was reading page by page but the story wasn't clear until the very end. I am still having trouble quite understanding it. 

It is haunting. I think that's why everyone is talking about it because, everyone is trying to figure out the story. I guess all I can say is that I would suggest this to anyone who loves mysteries.
Nova is writing another YA book with Dutton but it would be a stand-alone not a sequel to this book. More news coming soon once she announces it.

No comments:

Post a Comment