Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sarah's Review on The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club
Publisher: Point
Release Date: December 29, 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 320
Source: Bought
Buy at: Amazon

Love is all you need…
Or is it?



Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating, so she vows: No more. She’s had one too many bad dates, and has been hurt by one too many bad boys. It’s a personal choice…and soon everybody wants to know about it. It seems that Penny’s not the only girl who’s tired of the way girls change themselves (most of the time for the worse) in order to get their guys…or the way their guys don’t really care about them.


Girls are soon thronging to The Lonely Hearts Club (named after Sgt. Pepper’s band), and Penny finds herself near legendary for her non-dating ways – which is too bad, since the leader of The Lonely Hearts Club has found a certain boy she can’t help but like…

●●●●●●●●

Rating – 5/5 stars

Judge the Cover – The cover is to match The Beatle’s album cover for Abby Road. This is such a good cover to match the story inside since most of the book refers to The Beatles.

Selecting – Elizabeth Eulberg is one my all-time favorites. Read Prom & Prejudice and knew I had to read this book also.

Review – Okay, I cheated. I know I am supposed to be reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver, but I am just giving it back to Emi. Delirium is great book, so don’t give up on that one. It’s just… once I found this book in my mailbox, I literally almost had a heart attack. I stopped reading Delirium, and open this book right away. What can I say? I love Elizabeth Eulberg and I read this book in 4 hours.

Okay for starters, I am a girl, and I have had some lousy relationships. We all do eventually, except maybe the few lucky couples out there. This book is so empowering, fun, and realistic. With the amazing lyrics and song titles from one of the greatest bands ever, The Beatles. Their songs have told many stories.

At first, Penny Lane Bloom gets hurt by her childhood crush/best friend Nate Taylor. She falls for him and she thought he had the same feelings. It turns out he doesn’t. At least, his feelings aren’t as deep as hers. Penny is upset when she finds him with another girl. Not only is that a problem, his family and hers are close and they are staying there for the summer. After the heartbreak with Nate, Penny has declared to never date again.

This is how the Lonely Hearts Club started. Penny goes to school and is finally free of Nate, but he still sends her texts asking for forgiveness. Penny ignores him and continues her school life. She finds out there are many girls that have been broken from guys just like her. She and her friends invite them to join them in the Lonely Hearts Club, and to never date a guy until school’s over. But the only problem is, sometimes love can appear anywhere and sometimes you can’t hide all of your feelings.

This Club is such a great idea. It starts off being about guys but ending becoming more about friendship and empowering yourself and your decisions. I love it! I wished I had group like this in my school. Elizabeth Eulberg has made me fall in love with her writing all over again.

Best Character – Penny Lane, she was strong and cared for her friends. She became a leader of the group and stood up for them. But she was also human, with emotions, and she struggled and it made her even more realistic.

Worst Character – The character I couldn’t stand was Todd. He was jerk sometimes and funny other times. He reminded me of one of my friends but he did come out okay in the end.

Favorite Part – Oh my gosh, was there so many good parts in this book. But one of my all-time favorite is this little excerpt; Rita is such a great sister. In the hardcover edition page 217.

“Come on, Penny.” Rita came over and Nate quickly loosened his grasp. “We’ve got to go to the kitchen.” She turned to Nate. “You know, the room with all the sharp knives.”

Author’s NEWS – Elizabeth Eulberg has new book coming out soon called Take a Bow. I’m sure its going to be just as great as her other books were.


No comments:

Post a Comment