Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gabrielle's review for Nightshade

Nightshade
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Release Date: October 19, 2010
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 452
Source: Bought
Series: Nightshade series Book One
The Other Books: Wolfsbane, Bloodrose
Extras: Trailer, Series Website
Buy at: Amazon

She can control her pack, but not her heart.

Calla Tor has always known her destiny:


After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everythingincluding her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?



●●●●●●●●


Rating – 5/5 stars

Judge the Cover – There are two covers for this book but I really love the first one which is the one above. Calla looks really gorgeous on this cover. The only problem is, Calla doesn’t wear make-up so they should have made the girl more natural looking.

Selecting – Bought Nightshade because people were telling me to read it because it wasn’t a normal werewolf story. So, I picked it up to check out the series. Glad I did, because I found out the series is set in my state. Go Colorado!

Review – My friends were right, this book is definitely one of my favorites. There wasn’t one dull moment, and the excitement just kept on coming from different angles. You wouldn’t think that going to school would be much fun, but with The Guardians, you don’t know what to expect.

The story starts off with some action. Calla, in her wolf form, is fighting off a bear from an injured boy. Even though that is true heroism, Calla is breaking the rules set by The Keepers.  The Keepers are witches/warlocks that had brought The Guardians to protect their sacred sites. She wasn’t supposed to save the boy, and she was definitely not supposed to change forms in front of him. Now, she knows if The Keepers ever found out her and the boy would be killed.

Calla does her best to keep her secret but, she has other things to worry about. She is about to be bonded with another Alpha named Ren, in a month. She needs to prepare for it. Her pack known as Nightshade, and Ren’s pack is named Bane, are forming a new pack together with Calla and Ren as leaders. Calla has to put all her focus on this event, for her pack.

But when she arrives at school, her focus is drawn to another. Shay is a new student at the high school, but this isn’t why Calla freaking out. This is the boy she wasn’t supposed to save. Once Shay sees her, he knows that what happened wasn’t a dream. Shay is attracted to Calla, but has to stay away from her. Ren doesn’t want any guy around Calla but himself. He gets jealous lot during the series but I can’t help but love him.

After an attack at a local club by a couple of Searchers, the young Guardians of Nightshade and Bane find out that Shay has to be protected. The Keepers want Calla to be his body guard. Calla and Shay become closer, and they want to find out why Shay is important to the Keepers. They found out a lot of things about the Keepers, that the Guardians never knew. Calla and Shay start to think that everything they knew was wrong.

I kind of predicted most things that were going to happen, so the ending wasn’t at all surprising. I’m just good at this type of stuff. But for everyone else, it might be. It was a very exciting ending so, don’t have doubt.

Favorite Character – This book had a wide range of characters, and I don’t know if I could pick a favorite. I don’t even know how you can choose between Ren and Shay. They are both great guys with good qualities. To me, Ren seems hotter than Shay, but I think that’s because I love bad boys.

Least Favorite Character – The wraiths scared everyone so, there is no doubt that I would be afraid of them also. Wraiths are these shadowy things that feed off pain. Kind of reminds me of Dementors.

Favorite Scene – I love Andrea’s description on Calla kissing both boys. Although, I think I like Ren’s kiss better than Shay’s.

Author’s NEWS – Wolfsbane just came out, and Bloodrose is coming out in January 24, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment