Friday, October 21, 2011

Danny's Review on The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter (@aimee_carter)
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: April 19, 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 293
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Series: Goddess Test #1
The Other Books: Goddess Interrupted, The Goddess Legacy, The Goddess Inheritance
Extras:
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
The cover is really gorgeous and has the touch of Greek to it. Right when I saw it, I knew this was going to be about Greek gods, and I was going to love it.

I rolled my eyes. “Maybe you’ll win when hell freezes over.”

He raised an eyebrow. “That could easily be arranged.”
The way the book started, I was worried. I was thinking man this is not what I thought it was going to be, and I was getting bored. Then, Henry came and changed my mind.

In the beginning, Henry (who is Hades) has found another girl that couldn’t past the test. Henry is looking for partner to serve with him in the Underworld, and he’s ready to give up. Diana (who is Demeter) tells him there is still one more chance. She wants to try something but, you don’t find out what that is until the end. Henry tells her this is the last one and then he quits.

Eighteen years later, Kate is going to a little town named Eden. Her mother is really sick and her last wish is to be in Eden. Kate doesn’t have a normal teenage life, because she takes care of mother. She loves her mom and it pains her to see her mother suffering and dying slowly. Kate will do anything for her. This makes her one strong female character.

Kate and Henry meet in a very bad situation. Kate makes a deal with him, which ends her up staying in the Eden Manor. The Underworld but more pretty than what I pictured. She has to go through seven tests to save her mother, Henry, and even herself. Someone is trying to kill her through out the story, and I was surprised to find out who it was in the end.

At first, I thought this wasn’t going to be a good book, but Aimee surprised me. I thought Kate was going to go to school full of the Greek Gods, and Henry would be a student there. Nope. During the whole book, Aimee gave the Gods new names and I put pieces together to figure out who is who. Then, I find out there is a guide in the back. Oh well, I still had fun putting the pieces together.

Aimee has created a new twist to a classic myth and made it her own. This was just so new take on the Gods, and there was mystery, love, and some dark points that I just can’t get out of my head. I can’t wait for Kate to come back in Goddess Interrupted.


Kate being able to do anything to save a person, and that’s a good trait to have. She was a very understanding character, but loving also. Maybe a tad too loving and caring, but that just made her special.
Goddess Interrupted will be out in March 2012, and then there will be a third book. Aimee is also working on another dystopian series, first book titled Masked. The title can always change though.

No comments:

Post a Comment