Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gabrielle's Review on A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark
Author: Jocelyn Davies (@jocelyndavies)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 27, 2011
Format: E-book
Pages: 226
Source: NetGalley
Rating: Escapable
Series: A Beautiful Dark #1
The Other Books: A Fractured Light, BD Book 3
Extras: Trailer, Pitch Dark Tour
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.

This cover is beautiful and shows good representation for the word free.
In the privacy of the fluorescent-lit bathroom, I stared at my reflection. My eyes were flashing silver in the lighttrue silver, not the silvery gray they appeared to be on most days. I blinked, but nothing changed. They only flashed brighter, more vibrantly.
This book was not what I was expecting. I'm so glad this book is set in Colorado. There are not a lot of books set in this state, and I can't find out why. This state is beautiful. Okay, enough about me going on and on about my favorite state and back to the book.

Skye is pretty much a typical girl. She's athletic, smart, and average looking girl. But underneath all that, she has a power that has been waiting to be released. All it takes is a surprise birthday party, and some very interesting guys, to set it off. This is the start of her life changing.

Devin and Asher are cousins, who have taken an interest in Skye, and she doesn't know why. They seemed to be everywhere she is, lurking around. Devin keeps his distance and seems to be a very troubled. Asher is outgoing and flirts constantly with Skye. These strangers know a lot about Skye, and seem to know when she needs saving.

Skye has a lot of stress. First off, she has two boys pulling in two different directions. They keep telling to stay from the other one, but it's hard, when they are always around. Then with the lost of her parents, and finding out who she really was, there was no stop to the struggles she had to go through. She got frustrated a lot times, but who wouldn't under all that stress.

I torn between liking both the male characters. I love bad boys like Asher, but he wasn't just a bad boy. He did care about Skye and was willing to protect her. And then there was Devin, who always seemed to be the hardass but there are points in the story, where I wish I could just hug him. Then the ending, oh my god, I was so surprised by that. I need to know what happens next.

Jocelyn has created new tale about angels. New story-line of who they are and why there was a separation between the angels and the fallen. It was interesting new way to look at things. The story ended with a huge cliffhanger, and I'm dying to find out what happens next. 

Ah, I am so torn to pick a favorite guy character. I like Asher a lot but Devin has win over my heart. So, I guess that makes Team Devin. But with that ending, is Devin still a possibility for Skye?
Skye's story doesn't end here!! This is to be a set trilogy, which I hope the second book comes out soon. Give me something. A title, a cover, anything!! EDIT 10/6/11: Visited the Pitch Dark Livestream today, Jocelyn just announced that the sequel title is A Fractured Light. First dark now light, what side will Skye choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment