Sunday, October 9, 2011

Ivy's Review on Modelland

Modelland
Author: Tyra Banks
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 13, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 576
Source: Gift
Series: Modelland series Book One
The Other Books:
Extras: Trailer, Book Website, Tyra Interview
Buy at: Amazon

No one gets in without being asked. And with her untamable hair, large forehead, and gawky body, Tookie De La Crème isn’t expecting an invitation. Modelland–the exclusive, mysterious place on top of the mountain–never dares to make an appearance in her dreams.
 
But someone has plans for Tookie. Before she can blink her mismatched eyes, Tookie finds herself in the very place every girl in the world obsesses about. And three unlikely girls have joined her.
 
Only seven extraordinary young women become Intoxibellas each year. Famous. Worshipped. Magical. What happens to those who don’t make it? Well, no one really speaks of that. Some things are better left unsaid.
 
Thrown into a world where she doesn’t seem to belong, Tookie glimpses a future that could be hers–if she survives the beastly Catwalk Corridor and terrifying Thigh-High Boot Camp. Or could it? Dark rumors like silken threads swirl around the question of why Tookie and her new friends were selected . . . and the shadows around Modelland his sinister secrets.
 
Are you ready? Modelland is waiting for you . . . .
●●●●●●●●

Rating – 3.5/5 stars


Judge the Cover – The cover was not at all what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be all modelly, and glamorous. Nope, it’s just an eyeball with a Smize, so I actually like this cover.  


Selecting – I burrowed this book from the library and was going to read it later this month. Then, unexpectedly, I got the book in the mail with no return address. Sometimes, Emilia likes to surprise us with books in random packages but the book wasn't from her. So, who ever sent this book to me, Ivy, thank you.

Review – Okay first off you need to get past all the Tyra Banks things. Yes, she’s widely popular and well-known, mostly for modeling and America’s Next Top Model. What did you expect her to write? You write what you know. So, for one, I did expect this book surrounding the modeling world, but she did provide a fantasy twist to it. So, I forgot everything I know about Tyra and jus read the book.

If you’re a big fan of Tyra, you will like this book. But if you’re like me, I only know who she is but not consider a fan, then you might just want to burrow this from the library or from someone you know. Because paying 18 dollars for the book, before reading it, you might not be happy with the results.

I was originally going to give this book 4 stars but I just couldn’t get passed all the weird names. I couldn’t even pronounce most of them. It wasn’t only characters but also all the weird countries also. That’s why I bumped half a star. Although, I must say the fantasy aspect of the book is actually good.

I almost gave up on the book because of the names but trust me you have to pull through. Tookie De La Crème thinks she’s a freak, and a Forgetta-girl. A girl no one cares to take notice. Even her family doesn’t really want, and only care for her younger sister Myrracle. Tookie just wishes for someone to notice her. She gets her chance when The Day of Discovery comes.

The Day of Discovery is when scouts from Modelland go around the world searching for girls that can be taken to the boarding school. Girls that are beyond gorgeous and have the right stuff to attend. So why in the world is a freak like Tookie taken and not the Myrracle?

You don’t find out until the end of the book. It turns out she’s not the only one chosen that doesn’t fit in with the others. These four girls become a group, and Tookie keeps them together even though everyone knows they don’t belong.

Modelland is freaky and has weird fantasy creatures, and the classes are tough and there are secrets about why Tookie and her friends are there.

Tyra has created a new fantasy world, and it was actually turn out to be an excellent read. There was adventure and she threw some curveballs at you. The ending was unexpected. I did not see it coming. A really long read but still it was fun to explore this new world.

Favorite Character – Tookie was a great character. She had a lot of insecurities but she made me laugh and smile so many times. Her great friends were also a bright side to the very weird Modelland.

Least Favorite Character – Zarpessa was such a hard person to really care for. She had hard life but she didn’t need to make everyone else have one to.
   
Favorite Part – Oh my gosh, ManAttack was a fun part to read. So much excitement and I was so torn on what was happening between Bravo and Tookie.

Author’s NEWS – Looks like Tookie’s and Modelland’s world has not come to an end. Tyra Banks is in the works on the sequel to Modelland.



5 comments:

  1. I'm still not sure what to make of this novel. Maybe because I can't get past the America's Next Top Model blatant references (despite my addiction to the show!). And the names? Yeah, that's a little ... odd. But it seems like you enjoyed it, so I'll probably give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest checking out at the library. The book was a little difficult at first but after while I got into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really like Tyra Banks, but I might read her book. It actually sounds good for a women that's crazed with modelling.

    But I'm pretty sure she had some help writing it... most actress/actors/etc that write a book have someone along the way to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this one around but didn't know if I should pick it up. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Megan yay not the biggest fan of her either but I did see some reviews on goodreads and thought I would check it out. I mean the reviews that were actually about the book, and not just saying how they weren't going to read it.

    @TheBookFaerie Thank you :) and yes definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete