Monday, November 14, 2011

Danny's Review on Dark Eden

Dark Eden
Author: Patrick Carman
Publisher: HarperCollin's Childrens Books
Release Date: November 01, 2011
Format: ARC Galley
Pages: 149
Source: NetGalley
Rating: Escapable
Series: Dark Eden #1
The Other Books: Eve of Destruction
Extras: Trailer, Website, Fear Test
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Fifteen-year-old Will Besting is sent by his doctor to Fort Eden, an institution meant to help patients suffering from crippling phobias. Once there, Will and six other teenagers take turns in mysterious fear chambers and confront their worst nightmares—with the help of the group facilitator, Rainsford, an enigmatic guide. When the patients emerge from the chamber, they feel emboldened by the previous night's experiences. But each person soon discovers strange, unexplained aches and pains. . . . What is really happening to the seven teens trapped in this dark Eden?

Patrick Carman's Dark Eden is a provocative exploration of fear, betrayal, memory, and— ultimately—immortality.
Goes great with the story. Creepy building, and the words ‘Fear is the cure’, I couldn’t stop staring at it. I knew this was going to be a thriller!
NetGalley book, but if I was in a book store or library, I would have picked up this book. I like books that creep me out. I also really want to buy the app for the book, but don’t have a smart phone.

Wow… Just wow. I was a little scared to start this book because of the trailer and the fear test. But it was Halloween night, and instead of passing candy out, I read this book in my room.

The beginning is slow, but it does pick up. The writing for the book was a different style than I’m used to, but it became really engrossing while continuing the story.

It starts off with Will having a session with his therapist, Dr. Stevens. She tries to convince him to go to this camp with 6 others, to try to get pass his fear. Will doesn’t want to be there so, he sneaks away and hides. He enters a room full of security camera screens that show him everything that is happening inside Fort Eden.

The six characters kind of grow on you. I felt like I was right there with Will studying them. You go through each of their fears with them, it was chilling. I share some of their fears actually. Like Ben, who is afraid of bugs, I am scared of bugs also. When I was a kid bugs didn’t scare me at all, they were cool and they made my skin feel tingling. Now, I just can’t stand them. But I understand why Ben is scared of them.

And there is Rainsford. If you seen the trailer, he reminds of the guy from Saw the movie. Old and creepy looking. He just freaks me out. When I was reading about him, I was still freaked out. Especially towards the ending, I know there was more to the guy than everyone thought.

All in all, I think I’m going to stay away from therapy, and just keep my fears to myself.
Latest debut. Just saw on Goodreads, there is a sequel!! Yay for more fear! The title is Eve of Destruction! Just look at the amazing cover below. Can’t wait to read it!

2 comments:

  1. this looks good :) thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review. This looks like it may be a tad too creepy for me.

    ReplyDelete