Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Danny's Review on Peter Nimble

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes
Author: Jonathan Auxier
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: August 1, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 381
Source: Bought
Extras: Trailer
Buy at: Amazon

Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes is the utterly beguiling tale of a ten-year-old blind orphan who has been forced into a life of crime. One fateful afternoon, Peter steals a mysterious box that contains three magical pairs of eyes. When he tries the first pair, he is instantly transported to a hidden island where he is presented with a special quest: to travel beyond the known world and rescue a lost kingdom from its treacherous ruler. With the help of the Fantastic Eyes and some unlikely friends, Peter embarks on an unforgettable, swashbuckling adventure to save a people in need-and to discover his true destiny.


●●●●●●●●

Rating – 5/5 stars


Judge the Cover – The cover is one of my favorite illustrations. You get little sneak peeks of what is going to happen in the story. I can't picture Peter Nimble looking any other way.


Selecting – This was originally from NetGalley. I wanted to see the illustrations better so I went out and bought it. I'm glad I did.

Review  I miss reading juneville fiction. Young Adult is okay but I feel with JF there's just more imagination. For a writer to be able to write books for children, I applaud them. It takes lots of amount of imagination and thinking on what children might like. Peter Nimble brought me back to my childhood times.

The thing about this book is that it never got boring. One adventure led to another. For Jonathan being able to create an entire world around a blind boy, it's amazing and fresh new take. Even though, Peter can't see anything, he has other 4 senses to help him be the greatest thief the world has ever known.

You shouldn't judge anyone by their appearances. At first, Peter just looks like a blind, homeless little boy. But in reality, Peter is not only blind but a skilled thief that can hide in the shadows, open any lock, stay as quiet as a mouse, and steal something from your pocket without you even noticing. He is a thief but everything he takes goes to his guardian. Even in this dark tale of thievery, there is still some light.

One day, when his thievery was at a low point, a gentleman asks Peter to watch his carriage full of locks until he comes back. Peter being full of curiosity, and skill at picking locks, takes this as a challenge. He gets inside and sniffs out (literally), and finds a box that holds something valuable inside. He snatches the box, and opens it later on. With a little help from a zebra, Peter finds out the box actually contains 3 pairs of eyes.

One pair leads him to an island where he meets Sir Tode. Sir Tode is a special type of knight. He's a cat with hooves of horse, and a really fancy mustache. He also meets a Professor, who gives Peter a quest to save a kingdom from an evil king. His skills of thievery are needed, which will lead him to his destiny.

I love everything about this book. It was fresh, adventurous, and had a new type of hero. 

Favorite Character – First, Peter. I wish I knew all types of thievery like being able to untie myself in ropes while unconscious. Or, being able to pick any lock. Second, Sir Tode. He's a cat with horse hooves! What's not to love? He is also not your typical knight, but a very good story teller.

Least Favorite Character – The gorillas that were guards eat practically anything. Gross.

Favorite Part – Peter as a sea serpent, was very amusing when he was trying to talk to fish.

Author or Book NEWS – This is Jonathan's debut for this year. I can't wait for more books from him.



2 comments:

  1. Great review. Now I'm excited to read this book. I think I need to talk to my local library :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review..i want to pick this up for my niece and nephew!
    http://www.kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete