Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ivy's Review on The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children Publishing
Release Date: Sept. 27, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 452
Source: Bought
Series: Mara Dyer series Volume One
The Other Books:
Extras: TrailerMara's Website, Michelle's Website
Buy at: Amazon

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

●●●●●●●●


Rating – 4/5 stars


Judge the Cover – The cover is uber-stunning! Its makes Mara Dyer even more mysterious. The only problem I had is I wished the show the girl wearing converse, jeans, and tee. I feel Mara is more likely to wear that outfit than a dress.


Selecting – I won an ARC of this a while back, but I didn’t get into the book right away. When it came out, I just bought it for the hack of it. I couldn’t resist the cover.

Review  This is a very popular book. You either hate it or love it. Me, I think I’m split right down the middle. Everyone is wondering, who the hell is Mara Dyer?

Let me be honest, when I tell you this. You will get to know a little bit about Mara in the book. You will know who her family is, who her friends are, who she’s attracted to, and you will also learn something quite unusual about her. You will experience the difficulties of her post-traumatic stress disorder. And yet, there are still questions, especially towards the ending of the book, which leaves you off with a major cliffhanger. Will you see it coming? Highly unlikely.

I can’t really give you anything without ruining the book. Just watch the trailer and that right there gives you enough info.

Mara is like an undiscovered gem, and you want to be the one to find her.

What I love about the book: The book had great pace. It was suspenseful, it draws you in. The characters all work together well. Even though it’s a little long, it didn’t feel like a long read. I read it pretty fast. While Mara’s piecing together her past, she has even more things to worry about. And Noah Shaw… Noah is a pretty hot young thing. Well actually, he’s older than me, but still.

What I didn’t like about the book: There is another death that kind involved Mara. She thought about it a couple days, thinking it might have something to do with her, but that was pretty much it. She got distracted by Noah. I didn’t like this because if someone died in front of me, I don’t know how I would have gotten over it that fast. I wouldn’t even be able to flirt with guy for awhile. I would be studying what happened to the dead guy first.

And well that was pretty much it. I did though stop reading this for awhile because it didn’t pull me in right away. I was more interested in some other books at the time. But once I started reading again, I didn’t stop until I was done. Truth be told, I can’t wait for the sequel.

Favorite Character – Mara is a pretty interesting character, with definitely some flaws. I think though Noah beats her to my favorite character. I can’t help but love a bad boy with a big heart.

Least Favorite Character – Jude. I find this funny because there’s another guy I know named Jude (from 6Teen) and he’s hilarious and I love him. This Jude, on the other hand, he was a big jerkhole.

Favorite Part – Wow…hmmm… I guess I would have to say the beginning and the ending. Both parts make you want to read more about this mysterious life of Mara Dyer.

Author or Book NEWS – Sequel to come, but no news yet on the title. Check out Michelle’s Blog for any info about Mara click |HERE|. You can also read the entire book on Simon & Schuster's Pulse It group by clicking |HERE|, for a limited time only. You have to sign up though.

No comments:

Post a Comment