Friday, December 16, 2011

Danny's Review on Every Other Day

Every Other Day
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes (@jenlynnbarnes)
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: December 27, 2011
Format: E-Galley
Pages: 336
Source: NetGalley
Rating: Escapable
Extras: Jennifer Interview, Writing Every Other Day
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between...She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive...and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.
Did it immediately catch my eyes? Yes, the blood-filled hourglass was a tad-horrifying, I almost gave this book to Ivy. At first, I didn't quite understand the cover.  After reading the story though, it makes so much sense now. I wouldn't change a thing.
It was always like this the day after a hunt. I felt pain. I got tired. I needed to eat.

And I was anything but invincible.
This book was just fantastic. Something unique. Something fresh. Something different every other day. This book did take more than one day to read, and every day it surprised me. I am a slow reader at times, I admit. When it came to this story, it wasn't because I was slow. It was because I was afraid what was going to happen next.

Jennifer is an amazing writer! Every chapter was a surprise. The details, the characters, and the action. They were just all put together amazingly. Every minor character felt real to me. They felt like people from my own life. That is if you minus some of the supernatural out-of-this-world things they can do.

I feel like I'm just rambling on how great this book is, that I'm not really saying much about the actual book.

Kali is human one day, and unhuman the next. She kills preternatural beings the days she's not human. They just call to her, and her blood calls to them. Unlike the humans they feed on, her blood is poison to them. She is not normal in a lot of ways though. Besides being able to heal any wounds, find any weapon, and other supernatural things, her regular life is not quite as amazing. She has a father who is distant, an absent mother, and she's a high school student with no friends.

That is until she meets Skylar. Skylar is one of my favorite characters from this book. I am a little bit mad on what happens, but I will keep it to myself. I don't do spoilers. When the popular girl, who isn't quite fond of Skylar, gets an unwanted sucker attached to her, Kali is there to save her. Kali makes this chupacabra leave Bethany's body and attach to her's. This thing slowly drinks your blood and eats your memories. Unfortunately, Kali can't kill this thing right away with her poisonous blood. Kali won't be invincible until in about 17 hours. 

Do you think she's going to make it? Of course she is, because without her, there really wouldn't be a story. Her surviving this creature isn't the ending though. The events that happen after she accepts the chupacabra, are exciting and unpredictable. I would say just relax but there is too much thrill in the book, there was no relaxing for me.

Kali, Zev, Skylar, Bethany, Elliot, and many other characters really do bring this story to life. I can't wait to buy the full book, so I can experience the thrill all over again. I am also hoping for a sequel. I am not done with Kali and her every other day adventures. After reading the ending, I hope Jennifer is willing to bring back more.
Jennifer is the writer of Raised by Wolves series, which has its third book coming out on May 22, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment