Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Danny's Review on Fracture

Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda (@MeganLMiranda)
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Format: E-Galley
Pages: 272
Source: Netgalley
Rating: Escapable
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine—despite the scans that showed significant brain damage.

Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.
I think they did an excellent job with the cover. I love how they tied in Delaney’s red coat into it. It also looks like the old Delaney is going away, leaving behind the new Delaney.
“Look.” She pointed at the two outgoing calls to 9-1-1.

Time between calls, time underwater, time without air: eleven minutes.
This book had some emotional ties on me. Man, was I crying at some parts of the book, and I was on a plane! My brother kept on giving me weird looks, thinking I was freaking out during turbulence. He thought I was even weirder when I told him, I was crying because of a character in the book.

Miranda’s writing drew me in, the storyline and characters kept me going. Delaney just goes through so much in this book it was hard not to connect with her. From the beginning, you knew she died but what happens after she comes out of the coma, there was just so many surprises here and there. I couldn’t stop reading, because I was excited to see what was coming next.


Delaney waking up from coma, everyone is worried about her. She claimed dead, then was in coma, and she comes back faster than the doctors thought she would. They thought she was going to be a vegetable. Delaney is worried that she’s not the same person anyone. And she’s right. When she notices that she has pull towards people that are about to die, she thinks she’s killing them but she really wants to save them.

Her emotions were everywhere but she did go through a lot so it’s understandable. Her parents are worried about her, but she feels like she’s trapped especially when her mom does something.

Then there’s Decker, her best friend who saved her life. I thought he would have been the person she would have confided in. Tell all her secrets. To me, he was just being difficult. I could tell he liked Delaney, and I just wanted to yell at him to tell her already because she had feelings for him too.

But there’s Troy. This guy is very similar to Delaney, including the pull towards the dying. He thinks differently on the way to save them, though. He wants to end their suffering, while Delaney just wants to help. I did understand why he did this but I would have been more like Delaney. I wouldn’t be able to ease someone into death, or at least come up with the decision.

This book was exciting, quick read for me, because I wanted to find out what happens next. The ending was great but I kind see a possibility of sequel. If Miranda does bring a sequel, maybe we find out more about Delaney’s gift.

This was more of a darker read than what I usually read but, if you want an book that keeps you guessing, pick this up! 
Latest release, however, Miranda can’t wait to see what you write next ;)!

No comments:

Post a Comment