Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Emilia's Review on Everneath

Everneath
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Format: Advanced Reader's Copy
Pages: 373
Source: DAC ARC Tours
Rating: Escapable
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Series: Everneath #1
The Other Books: Everbound 
Extras: Trailer
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
The cover is one of my favorites from this year. But after reading the summary, it looks like she’s slowly fading away back to the dark.
I closed my eyes and pictured the boy with the brown hair, and as I took in my first really deep breath of Surface air, a name to match the face came to me. A name I’d been trying to cling to for a century.

“Jack.”
I usually not the one that reads Greek Myths, even though I am a huge fan. I needed a break from dystopian type novels. Thanks to Debut Author Challenge ARC Tours for providing me the chance to read this.

This story was just wow! I liked everything about it. Brodi’s take on mythology was fresh and just marvelous. I can’t stop thinking about the characters. Nikki, Jake, Cole, and even some of the minor characters have some impact on me. With every turn of the page, the story just got more and more exciting. Ah, and the ending was hard, but breath-taking.

To me, this isn’t a retelling but more like a continued story on Peresphone and Hades but with huge twist. This huge twist is what makes the story stand out from the other H&P retellings. These immortals feed off humans emotions. These Everlivings bring people down to Everneath to feed on them and humans usually don’t survive the Feed. Nikki survived but just barely. One memory kept her from completely disappearing.

Cole is excited that she survived, but Nikki doesn’t want to be with him. She wants to go home. When she comes back to Earth, she has an ugly scar that goes along with her. If she doesn’t go with Cole, Nikki will be pulled into the tunnels where most humans go after the Feed. She risks it though because the first time Nikki went with Cole, she didn’t say goodbye. This time she wants to say goodbye.

She affected a lot with her disappearance. Her dad, her brother, and then there’s Jack. Jack, was her best friend before they became official. When she leaves, Jack went through a bad time and no one wants her to get back with him. But he’s the reason she’s back. Their relationship was the most romantic ever, and the ending just killed me. I love Jack and Nikki!

Cole however is not happy about Nikki and Jack. Cole wants Nikki to come back with him, and he’s willing to do anything to get her back. He’s supposed to be the bad guy of the book, but I couldn’t help but fall in love with him also.

Love how the book kept switching back and forth between Nikki memories and the present. This book had the perfect amount of fantasy, romance, and just emotions tied into it. You become apart of Nikki especially when she slowly starts to get her emotions back. I cried at the ending, and I want to see what happens in the next book like right now! I’m sad that I read this book right now, because I was going to have to wait a whole year before the next book is out. But then I am happy that I read this book, because I wouldn’t want to be left out on such amazing book.

Brodi, you broke my heart!
This is of course her latest book, but hopefully she gives a teaser of the next book soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment