Monday, January 16, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on Jessica's Guide

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
Author: Beth Fantaskey (@bethfantaskey)
Publisher: Harcourt
Release Date: February 1, 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 351
Source: Gift
Series: Jessica #1
The Other Books: Jessica Rules the Dark Side
Challenge: 2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
Extras: Facebook
Buy at: Amazon
Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit into Jessica's senior year "get-a-life" plan.

Enter a bizarre new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu who claims Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth and he's her long-lost fiance. He's arrogant, officious, embarrassingly overprotective, and well, incredibly hot.

Armed with a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica tries to imagine the transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But just when things start to heat up with Lucius, a devious cheerleader sets her sights on him.

Soon Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal damnation. All of which leaves her to wonder: Wouldn't life be easier if she could just fall for a nice mortal boy?

You Should... – Buy it!!!

Reason for Reading – Cover, Title

Judge the Cover – The title was actually the first thing that caught my eye.  After finishing the story, I really wish I could see more of Lucius’s face.

A Little Teaser  So I did what any sane person would do. I jammed the pitchfork in the general direction of his foot and ran like hell for the house, ignoring his yowl of pain.

Review  Wow! Like seriously whoa. I think I love this book way more than Twilight, and it is evenly matched up with the Blue Blood series. Well for me at least. I got this book as a gift from a friend a long time ago. I did skim through couple of pages but never got around to actually reading it. Why was I waiting so long!? I mean come on, a guide to dating on the dark side? This has to be good. We all need some help with those paranormal boyfriends....someday *sigh*.

Jessica is such an amazing character! There are just so many things to like about her. She loves math and science, and she works her way through the other subjects. She has regular crushes and a fun best friend. She has vegan diet, yoga parents, and loves horses. She is very well rounded character.

And when a creepy dude starts following you, a regular person would freak out. That’s exact what Jessica does and I loved it. Lucius at first to me, was creepy. You don't just come out and say "Hey, I'm a vampire prince, I'm supposed to marry you because you're a vampire princess." Weirdo. You have to slowly eased the idea on to Jessica, because she doesn't believe in fairytales. She believes in facts and logic, not the impossible.

Lucius is just a tall, dark, and handsome with a very dangerous side. I liked him in the beginning where he is trying to understand Jessica. Then towards the end, I wanted to hate him but just couldn't. Let's just say overall, I am pretty satisfied with his character.

This book seriously just made me all giddy inside. The plot twists took me by surprise. Especially the ending. But the very, very last part of the book made me smile and kind of worry on what's going to happen on the next book.  

Author or Book NEWS – Latest release Jessica Rules the Dark Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment