Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on Angel Burn

Angel Burn
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 449
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Angel #1
The Other Books: Angel Fire, Angel Fever
Challenge: 2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
Extras: Trailer, UK website, Series Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
They're out for your soul.
And they don't have heaven in mind...

Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. she has no idea where this power comes from.

But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.
I actually saw the UK cover before this one and didn’t appeal to me at all. It seemed to0 dark for my liking. Then, I saw the US one in store and bought it right away.
The angel’s face was lovely, serene, a magnified version of the girl’s own. Yet where there should be a halo framing its head, there was simply . . . nothing. An angel’s halo was it’s heart; without one, it couldn’t survive.
Let me just say this…….AWESOME! Or as my friend Emi would say, the-book-I-just-can’t-get-out-of-my-head AWESOMESAUCE!

Right from the beginning, this will get you hook and the thrill will not stop even when you finish the book. I can’t stop thinking about Weatherly’s take on angels, and man, are these angels scary and mean. And they’re not even Fallen angels!

If you saw my Goodreads update on the book, a few pages in and I found some parts very predictable. I didn’t like it, but the characters kept me curious so I kept on reading. I’m glad I didn’t stop.

I think I was more drawn to Alex than Willow, but I did like Willow. I just love Alex more! He’s all type of bad boy, but to me, he didn’t feel like a bad boy. His family was in the Angel Killing and he trained along with them. His father was a Killer, and so was his brother. Alex hates angels because they killed most of his family. Now, he takes his angel job seriously, even though he’s only seventeen! Killing angels is really the only thing he knows.

So when he gets the message about an angel spotting, he hurries and sets out. He is about to kill Willow, but her being half-human, half-angel stops him. Angels having kids, isn’t something that has happened before. I was kind of wondering why Nephilim never crossed any of the characters minds because that explains what Willow is. But since she’s the only one, I guess I can see why Weatherly kept the word out.

Willow, and to us as we get to know her, sees herself as human with a psychic ability. When she founds out who she really is, it’s hard on her. Especially since she knows angels aren’t good, and her father made her mother delusional. When Willow and Alex team up, it doesn’t feel right between them. Alex hates angels and kills them for a living, and yet he’s finds Willow different and attractive. Willow doesn’t know if she trusts a guy that carries a gun and is a trained killer.

Really, really love the first book, and I just bought the second one, so can’t wait to start that one. If you are looking for a good paranormal, or angel book, check this one out right away! Or if you haven’t tried any angel book yet, give this one a try first.

SPOILER: When their on the run, Willow disguises herself with only a hat and sunglasses. Which I didn’t get. It’s like a celebrity trying to hide with only sunglasses and a hat. It doesn’t work when millions of people are looking for you. She should have dyed her hair brown or at least tried a wig to hide her. With Alex as a trained killer, you would think this would come up.
Angel Fire, the sequel to Angel Burn, is out now. Angel Fever is supposed to be published by October 2012, but dates can change on releases.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to read this for a while. Fantastic review. I think I will have to make some time to read it.

    ReplyDelete