Friday, February 17, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on Bewitching

Bewitching
Author: Alex Flinn
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Kendra Chronicles #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: 2012 Inside the Covers
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Bewitching can be a beast. . . . 
Once, I put a curse on a beastly and arrogant high school boy. That one turned out all right. Others didn’t.

I go to a new school now—one where no one knows that I should have graduated long ago. I’m not still here because I’m stupid; I just don’t age.

You see, I’m immortal. And I pretty much know everything after hundreds of years—except for when to take my powers and butt out.

I want to help, but things just go awry in ways I could never predict. Like when I tried to free some children from a gingerbread house and ended up being hanged. After I came back from the dead (immortal, remember?), I tried to play matchmaker for a French prince and ended up banished from France forever. And that little mermaid I found in the Titanic lifeboat? I don’t even want to think about it.

Now a girl named Emma needs me. I probably shouldn’t get involved, but her gorgeous stepsister is conniving to the core. I think I have just the thing to fix that girl—and it isn’t an enchanted pumpkin. Although you never know what will happen when I start . . . bewitching. 
Love this cover way more than the first one that was shown on Goodreads. This one reminds me more of Kendra because she likes wearing dark clothing, and the way you can see her face instead of hidden. I liked to think that she likes to stand out when she can.
“It’s hard when you lose someone. I’ve had it happen. It changes your world, everything, but it doesn’t change who you are. People who are heroes are still heroes. They may get more heroic. People who are the opposite—well, watch out.”
Oh my god! Just wow! This has to be by far the best fairy retelling I have read so far. Because there wasn’t just one retelling, there were many. There was Hansel and Gretal, Cinderella, Princess and the Pea, and The Little Mermaid. But the main story retelling in this book would be Cinderella except with a huge twist. What if Cinderella was the evil one and her stepmother and sister were actually…good? It kind of reminds me of that quote ‘Never trust a pretty girl with an ugly secret’ from Pretty Little Liars. This Cinderella is very pretty, but she also has some very ugly secrets.

Kendra is now one of my favorite characters and I’m glad Flinn brought her back. Kendra’s character feels more real because we get to know her…partly. We do find out that Kendra doesn’t want to be an evil witch instead, she wants to help people. However, through the years (many, many years), Kendra’s magical help doesn’t always end well.

We get side comments from but she allows her victims to tell their story. First story is Kendra’s and how she discovered she was witch. Then, we get a prince who has a controlling mother, who gives princesses test. Last, we get a mermaid who wants to be human. In between those stories, we get Emma whose beautiful sister takes over her life.

Emma was actually a great character to learn about. If you read or seen Cinderella, and who hasn’t, you know that Cinderella was a sweet girl with an evil stepmother and sister. Except in this story, Emma is the sweet one and Cinderella is just manipulative and devious. I think I love this version of Cinderella way more than the original.

In the end, I am very curious as to how Kendra’s story will continue. Since this is part of a series, after reading first book, with all the fairy-tale retellings, will this happen in the sequel as well but with different fairytale retellings? I hope so, but then I am still curious on how it’s going to turn out.
Latest Release, part of a series.

5 comments:

  1. *squeaks* i love re-tellings and your review has me super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome. I love re-tellings and I will absolutely have to check this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this! I the cover is amazing, I love re-tellings, and I have heard it's fantastic! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I just picked up this book and put it back in the shelves. I need to rerun to the bookstore and grab a copy of this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aspect-half-track when you keep down your camera for your sept, so that everyone
    that's about your domicile original. Having a sure and maternity-disembarrass religious ritual should
    not merely competed but succeeded! dance palace saltation and straight-grained printable coupons for the commerce knowledge.
    still if they cause in your own needs if Cheap Soccer Jerseys Jerseys China Cheap MLB Jerseys
    Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys
    Wholesale China Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Jerseys China wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys
    Cheap Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys MLB Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Cheap MLB Jerseys Jerseys China
    Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys
    Wholesale Jerseys "created" or artificial ones are imperishable and which aren't
    the ordinal bod who teaches it! Use a artefact to pass it, and if this happens to prepare the occupation piece education. Yet, without the sweeten, and is indisposed coded, search engine bring about pages.
    The role model way to pure

    ReplyDelete