Friday, February 24, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on Switched

Switched
Author: Amanda Hocking (@amanda_hocking)
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Format: Paperback
Pages: 293
Source: Bought
Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
The Other Books: Torn, Ascend
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Website, Trylle Trilogy
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She's not the person she's always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel--all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken. . . though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she'd ever admit. But it isn't long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth--and he's come to take her home.

Now Wendy's about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that's both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she's meant to become. . . .

You should… – Burrow it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Author

Judge the Cover – I’m not going to lie, but I do love the new covers for the series. This cover fits perfectly with the first book.

A Little Teaser – “Did you think you could treat me like shit at a dance, then sneak into my room in the middle of the night and tell me that I'm a troll with magical powers, and I'd just be like, yeah, that sounds right.” 

Review – This book was okay but I thought it was going to be so much better. I had a lot of friends reading the ebook for Switched and telling me they really liked it, so I thought I was going to love it. The story was great but to me, it just felt like a casual read. It’s one of those books where you want to see how it is, and read it, but afterwards you will most likely forget about it.

I think the thing that got me really interested in this book was first trolls, and second... well hello her mother tried to kill her when she was a kid! This has to be a really good book. Right?

I love the world Amanda Hocking has created. Trylle seems magical and a place I would love to visit. If you didn’t know, Trylle are actually trolls but not creepy, mean ones from like Lord of the Rings and not the fuzzy hair troll dolls. However, they do share some similar qualities like the uncontrollable hair. Hey look at that uncontrollable has troll in it, hmm coincidence? They also like being barefoot and they have vegan diet. But one of the strongest qualities that seemed to be very important was that Trylle have strong attitudes and tempers. They like to have everything their way.


Wendy has all these qualities while living with her human brother Matt and her aunt Maggie. But when she gets to Trylle, I feel like she was whole different character. She didn’t keep the same…hmm…I guess I will say spark that she had when she was with Matt and Maggie. I thought she was going to have an attitude with everything, at least in her mind. But nope, she becomes less sassy.


Another thing that bothered me, the plot seemed to stay on a constant pace. There were a few exciting points but not a lot of excitement until towards the ending. This really did help, because now I am curious on what is going to happen in the next book. Will I read right away? I’m not sure. I think I am going to put off reading the sequel until the final book comes out. That way I can read both books right away.


I think you should give the book a try, but I would burrow it. The world of Trylle is amazing and it’s worth exploring.  


Author/Book News  Trylle Trilogy used to be self-pulished by Amanda, but now they are coming out from St. Martin’s Griffin spread out through the year. Switched came out in January, the sequel Torn came out in February, and the final book Ascend is coming out this April.

3 comments:

  1. It's too bad you didn't enjoy this more. The series gets better with each book. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book but had some minor issues with it as well. I however am really looking forward to the next one and have heard it is better :) I am glad I was not the only one that had some issues with this book and will hope that we will both feel better with the next book!

    ReplyDelete