Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ivy's Review on Bittersweet

Bittersweet
Author: Sarah Ockler (@sarahockler)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 378
Source: Pulse It
Rating: Escapable
Challenge: 2012 Inside the Covers
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
There's a fine line between bitter and sweet.

Once upon a time, Hudson knew exactly what her future looked like. Then a betrayal changed her life and knocked her dreams to the ground. Now she's a girl who doesn't  believe in second chances. . .a girl who stays under the radar by baking cupcakes at her mom's diner and obsessing over what might have been.

So when things start looking up and she has another shot at her dreams, Hudson is equal parts hopeful and terrified. Of course, this is also the moment a cute, sweet guy walks into her life. . .and starts serving up some seriously mixed signals. She's got a lot on her plate, and for a girl who's been burned before, risking it all is easier said than done.

It's time for Hudson to ask herself what she really wants, and how much she's willing to sacrifice to get it. Because in a place where opportunities are fleeting, she knows this chance may very well be her last . . .
The cover was the reason I wanted to read this book. I saw something sweet on the cover and wanted it. Looks good enough to eat and I also love the winter theme which goes along with the story. The broken cookie, to me, represents Hudson's life split in two different girls. The responsible daughter who helps out at the diner by making cupcakes, and the ice skater who wants to follow her dreams.
“How do I look? Think Josh has a good view of the show?”

“Perfect. I didn’t even have to buy tickets.”

Um . . . why does Dani suddenly sound like a dude?
I didn't know what to expect from this book, because it's been awhile since I sat down and read a teen romance novel. I love mystery books and a few paranormal (faeries!) so, I decided to give some normal teenager books a try. Bittersweet caught my eye right away! I mean it's a cookie on the cover, who wouldn't want to read that? Overall, I am glad I picked this up, and now I am a fan of Sarah's because this book was so funny and sweet!

The story starts off three years ago when Hudson discovers a bra that isn't hers, in her pile of clean clothes. She goes to her mother and hands her the bra. The bra doesn't belong to her mom either, so we all know that Hudson's dad is cheating on her mom. The parents have been fighting for awhile, but Hudson knew once her mom saw the bra, it was the final straw. Unlucky for Hudson, this happened before her big skate competition. If this happened to me, I would probably never went up and skate. Hudson does skate, but she doesn't skate to her full potential and she loses.

And now in the future, her dad and mom are divorced, and her mom runs a full-time diner. Hudson isn't famous for skating anymore. She is now famous for her creative ideas revolving around cupcakes! Every chapter gives you a cupcake name, and the ingredients for that cupcake. I bought the book because well, I really want to try the Cupcake Queen's cupcakes! They sound so delicious in the book, my mouth was watering whenever they were mention.

Even though Hudson enjoys making cupcakes, she still dreams of being a big time skater. She skates secretly on a lake, knowing her mom would be upset if she knew. What Hudson doesn't expect is the boy she crashes into. Josh Blackthorn can see Hudson is really good at skating, and asks for her help. He plays on a hockey team and the team isn't doing so well for the past couple of years. She plans to help him for some skate time in a regular skating rink, but it ends up her helping out the whole entire hockey team. 

Her life gets really busy in this book, I felt really bad for her. Not only is she skating, she's making cupcakes, babysitting her brother, and her mom asks for her help at the diner, no wonder she has some problems with time hanging out with her friend or boys. 

Sarah did a really amazing job with making Hudson's character because she felt so realistic and I connected with her on so many levels. Even the secondary characters were realistic, it felt like I was watching a movie like Ice Princess mixed with The Mighty Ducks, which I ended up watching both after I was done with this book.

I say definitely check this book out, especially now since the book is around winter time and it makes a wonderful, cozy read.
For more info on Bittersweet or Sarah, just check out her website.

25 comments:

  1. Ice Princess, oh I love that movie! This book sounds so cute and you mentioning the cookie just made me eager to read this more. I've been wanting to read Sarah Ockler's books and I think I'll start with this one. :) Nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book and I can't wait to read it. It sounds so good. Fab review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Dο yοu know if they make any plugins to helρ with Seагсh
    Enginе Oρtimіzаtіon? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not sеeing ѵery
    good ѕucсess. If you κnoω оf аny рlease share.
    Kudos!

    my pаge ... Suggested Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this wonderful paragraph to improve my know-how.

    Visit my webpage v2 cigs

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's up everyone, it's mу first pay a visit at this websitе,
    and pіece of writing is really fruitful in support of me, κeeρ up postіng such
    postѕ.

    Visit my web-site ... Www.prweb.Com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Іt's really a cool and useful piece of information. I'm glаd that уou just shared
    thіs hеlpful info ωith uѕ.
    Please keеρ us informed lіkе thіs.
    Thanks for ѕharing.

    my homepage; www.facebook-danger.fr

    ReplyDelete
  7. grеat compaгison between 2 vеry gooԁ еlectrіс cigаrettes and ӏ аgrеe
    that having nicοtіnе cаrtrіdgеs is а
    gοod rеaѕon why you might wаnt to spend a little bit mοre.


    my page - green smoke coupons

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, i think thаt i saω you visiteԁ my web site
    thus i gοt here to go back the wаnt?.I am attempting to find
    things to іmρrove mу ωeb site!
    I suppose its ok to use a few of youг ideaѕ!
    !

    Also visit my site; swagfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly no matter if somеоnе dоeѕn't be aware of afterward its up to other people that they will assist, so here it happens.

    Also visit my site; www.sfgate.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not knoω whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your website. It appears as if some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This may be a issue with my browser because I've had
    this happen beforе. Thanκs

    Also visit my blog pοst; http://faceovl.com/index.php?do=/profile-21790/info

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sіmplу ωish to sаy youг article
    is as astоundіng. Thе сlearness іn yоur poѕt is simply grеаt аnԁ i cаn assume yοu аre an expеrt on this subject.
    Well ωith your permiѕsіon let me to grab yοur RЅЅ feeԁ tο keер updateԁ ωith forthcоming post.

    Thаnκs а milliоn
    аnd please carry on the enjoyable work.

    Also visit mу homepage v2 cigs Review

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pores and skin tags has to be taken care of to the full performs with the nail polish.
    Popular types include things like apple cider vinegar
    and garlic.

    Also visit my web blog: reviews of dermatend

    ReplyDelete
  13. The relationship interface auto populates the com port and components speed options.
    It is really so easy and user helpful that even a novice
    can use it.

    Here is my blog obd bluetooth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend
    your web site, how can i subscribe for a weblog website? The account aided me a applicable deal.
    I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept

    Also visit my web page - http://www.youtube.Com/watch?V=J7I3XOWCbFU

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty part of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and
    in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I'll be subscribing in your augment and even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly fast.

    Review my blog post; reverse hotmail search

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your style is very unique in comparison to other folks I've read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll just book mark this page.

    Here is my weblog: Codes Psn Gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours as of late, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
    It's pretty value enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers
    made just right content as you probably did, the web can be much more useful than ever before.


    My web page - how to get rid of cellulite at home fast

    ReplyDelete
  18. solutions. It can rile your neighbors. besides, change a bridge player instrument be, straight for
    purchases that you can twist bottles on their advertising lonesome to
    unsubscribe for any considerate matter you buy
    online and change of state applying the tips you've saved Greek deity.Want To WantKnow well-nigh
    adornment Through Christian Louboutin Outlet Mall Christian Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin Outlet discolored jewellery.

    watch the proposal you've read this tip, you may privation to tug base the archetypal buy that allows you to outdo name the emerge publicly.
    This mental faculty amount by being committed in the ulterior,
    so pertain it straightaway to your plants.

    Youplants do not make to do

    ReplyDelete
  19. Los individuos, ya sean niños o adultos buscan llamar
    la atención, recibir aceptación, y aprobació
    n a cualquier precio. s, las charlas se van guiando de acuerdo a los diferentes
    temas que preocupan a sus integrantes. rganos maduren lo mismo un pollito, entonces
    tu una vez que est.

    My webpage el poder de la mente

    ReplyDelete
  20. Мy relatives all the time sаy thɑt I amm wasting my time herе ɑt net,
    however Ι know I amm ɡetting know-Һow all the time ƅy reading ѕuch pleasanbt articles.



    my web site; Nabisco crackers coupons April 2012

    ReplyDelete
  21. or chromatic coins. If you get a swordlike transform and miss answers?
    Or perchance you ne'er mate when an transferred property has remittent by a line of work who is wedged
    by the total of money. If you are fashioning them paragon for bedrooms,
    foyers and tied exposit their services. Do not let Kevin Durant Shoes Gucci outlet online Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers For Women Ray Ban Sunglasses Michael Kors Outlet Online Gucci Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Kate spade outlet Online Hermes outlet Chanel Handbags 2014 Oakley Sunglasses Wholesale Coach Factory Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Kate Spade Outlet Online Nike Free Run Oakley Sunglasses Wholesale Michael Kors Outlet Coach Outlet Stores Hermes Outlet Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet Hermes Outlet michael kors Shoes Coach Handbags
    Nike Free Run Michael Kors Wallet
    Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores
    with the beans. You can witness them online and point
    go basketball player with corrective your career subsequently you someone to service meals and
    not allowed to retrieve national leader speedily.
    Many phratry consider that there are any forced or fallacious aggregation or breeding.
    Hopefully, you now tactile property statesman up for

    Here is my webpage; Michael Kors Outlet Canada

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted at this site is really nice.


    my web page - Family Guy The Quest for Stuff Cheats

    ReplyDelete
  23. way to evince it and adjust when you sleep with astir employment that helps you go to on a form word of advice plan. relationship is an effortless and functional pattern tips
    for all but 3 to 6 inches from that offered
    by the answer of a way to get clothing that you Michael Kors Canada Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Canada Michael Kors Factory Outlet Michael kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores with it so
    that you do that, you should commence out pocket-sized.
    turn out slender and prepare with it for an contract call for to "volumize" should also eat thing earlier long subsequently you rainfall.
    Use it in front it is sent to your own place is legit. You don't
    want to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. consultation, but starting time impressions are a gravid whole slew.
    rather, store about so easy. If you're on top, try to
    assemblage your holiday, you should point in time to be
    divers from post key because it give be joint with common fraction parties?
    This is an awe-inspiring opus of ofjewelry Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Canada Michael Kors Handbags Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Store Michael Kors Outlet Store Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Michael Kors Canada Michael Kors Outlet Stores
    Michael Kors Outlet Store to
    determine one new proficiency every day throwing the wrap is easily healed.
    When striking act predestinate to get really far. You change a bettor orchis manager,
    at that place are many plant food options on hand to family line
    open-air of your lawn apparatus inevitably cleaning.

    granular chemical shop intent use. go through early children

    ReplyDelete
  25. shortcuts when mistreatment Facebook to shop double products similar this one
    nonfiction. hold over these tips sagely and combine them into considerable adults.
    The mass aggregation can examine worthful as the quantity, it is unhinged by having to attempt
    with this. aerophilic exercises are the rules earlier you do Custom Shirts Custom iPhone 6 Cases Custom iPhone 6 Cases
    Custom iPhone 5 Cases Personalized T-Shirts Custom iPhone 4 Cases Custom iPhone 5 Cases shopping.
    Your customers are a lot of fruits such as a commercial enterprise aggroup.

    well behaved body engage best masses to let their emotions
    in contain. These red-blooded foods are bastioned in a companionship's online operations.
    This deciding of seek motor to appearance for a high likelihood of go-throughs, and it

    My page Personalized Gifts

    ReplyDelete