Monday, February 20, 2012

Sarah's Review on The Probability of Miracles

The Probability of Miracles
Author: Wendy Wunder (@WendyWunder)
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: December 8, 2011
Format: ARC
Pages: 357
Source: Publisher
Challenge: 2012 Completely Contemp Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Website, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Dry, sarcastic, sixteen-year-old Cam Cooper has spent the last seven years in and out hospitals. The last thing she wants to do in the short life she has left is move 1,500 miles away to Promise, Maine - a place known for the miraculous events that occur there. But it's undeniable that strange things happen in Promise: everlasting sunsets; purple dandelions; flamingoes in the frigid Atlantic; an elusive boy named Asher; and finally, a mysterious envelope containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies. As Cam checks each item off the list, she finally learns to believe - in love, in herself, and even in miracles.

A debut novel from an immensely talented new writer, The Probability of Miracles crackles with wit, romance and humor and will leave readers laughing and crying with each turn of the page.

You should… – Buy it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Trailer, Recommended

Judge the Cover When I first saw the cover, I thought about angels because of the feather and well, the word Miracles. Now after reading the book, I am thinking pink flamingoes

A Little Teaser  “If you put a frog in some warm water and slowly turn up the heat, he’ll stay there until he boils. Kind of like people. We’re too lazy to change, so we’ll just keep doing what we’re doing until it’s too late.”

Review – I wasn’t sure I would be able to get into to this book, since I didn’t know anyone with cancer. I mean I know some people with cancer, but I don’t really really know them, I just know who they are. So, I put this book away to read later on because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to read about a girl dying from cancer if I wasn’t close to that kind of topic.

Shame on me! And thank you Taryssa for recommending me to read this!

Cam Cooper is dying from cancer, and she accepts that she’s dying. She isn’t crazy about believing in miracles. She has a very sarcastic attitude about anything miraculous and knows it can be some way explained scientifically. To me, she has already given up. And the unbelievable thing is, her giving up wasn’t sad to read about. Reading about Cam was heartbreaking at some points, but also warm and comforting.

I couldn’t help but think ‘Man, this is why I love reading contemporary.’

Even though, she has given up and her family hasn’t. They believe in the impossible and are not willing to give up on her. And what’s great about Cam, she’s cares enough about her family to try anything. Even going to a place called Promise that has tons of miraculous things happening.

For such a tough topic, this story didn’t feel sad and hard to read until the ending. Cam was such a lively character and is now on my unforgettable characters list. If you love books that will you leave heartbreaking and smiling at the same time, I say give this book a try. Or if you're a big fan of contemporary, then what are you waiting for, put this on your reading list already!

Author/Book News – Latest release.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I have been putting this one off because of the same reasons you did. I guess I just thought it would be tragic and sad to read about someone dying of cancer. Your review has convinced me that I should give this one a try.
    Amy
    Book Loving Mom

    ReplyDelete