Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sarah's Review on Shut Out

Shut Out
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: September 5, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 273
Source: Gift
Challenge: 2012 TBR Reading Pile Challenge
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.

Then Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. But what Lissa never sees coming is her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling...

You should… – Buy it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Recommended, Gift

Judge the Cover – The cover actually threw me off. I thought this book was about a girl being on the football team. I get the cover now!

A Little Teaser  “It’s the one thing they could never say no to. The one thing they beg and plead and cajole for. Up until now, I didn’t realize we could use it to our advantage. But last night, I realized that it’s our best shot.” I paused, took a breath. “We go on. . .a sex strike!”

Review – My mom got this book for me as a birthday gift with some other ones. I kept putting off reading books that I had on my shelf, because I had others that I wanted to read. I made a goal to myself that I would more of the books I had on shelf this year. This book has kicked off that goal to a great start.

I could not stop laughing in this book! I mean there were parts that I was shocked or held my breath, but I was mostly either smiling or laughing. This book reminds me of The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg, because of all the girls grouping together againsts boys. Except, this book is wayyy more for teens.

The girls in this book are sex striking against the guys. All the sex talk, made this book enjoyable because it was so relatable. This is one of those books I wish I had on me when I was in high school. So expect some cussing and sex talk in this book.

Another thing I love about this book is the characters! Lissa is so funny when she’s nervous. There are other things that made her such a great character, and likable. Then there’s Randy and Cash, the two boys of the novel. Randy was actually cute in the beginning, but just like Lissa, I was falling for Cash. And Randy did shock me! All the other girls that were part of strike were fun as we learn about them and their stories about holding out. I really like Lissa’s friend Chloe, she was so outspoken and reminds me of one of my friends.

Man, I need to get my hands on Kody’s first book DUFF because I have feeling I’m going to love that one as well. If you love good contemporary, or need a laugh, I really suggest this book. I’m sick so reading this did lighten my spirits!

Author/Book News – Looks like I have another book to check out this year, because Kody has another book coming out. A Midsummer’s Nightmare is coming out June 5, 2012. Check it out |HERE|!!

2 comments:

  1. I have this book on my TBR list, but keep putting it off like you did. It sounds like a book I would really enjoy. I may have to bump this one up on my list and read it sooner rather than later. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good read, great review! Also, I picked you'r blog for an award! Here it is:
    http://wondrousreadings.blogspot.com/2012/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete