Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Alice's Review on Scarlet

Scarlet
Author: A. C. Gaughen (@acgaughen)
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 292
Source: Bought
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance.

Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.

It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.

You Should… – Buy it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Topic, Challenge

Judge the Cover – Love this cover! It represents the story well and Scarlet is really pretty. It also helps to have her dagger present.

A Little Teaser  I did as much as I could, but it weren’t like I could get everyone something every night. That seemed like the cruelest part. I tried not to think ‘bout the people that woke up and rushed to the door and didn’t find nothing; it made my chest hurt.

Review – I have seen so many people loving this book! I have also seen all types of Robin Hood movies and read a few books about him as well, so I really do adore him. I mean come on he steals from the rich to help the poor! He turns a bad deed into a good one. That’s an honorable man. And even though he’s a character in this book, the story focuses more on Will Scarlet, who is just Scarlet to most, and who’s a girl!

I love historical fiction with girls as the main lead. I just can’t help it. When I was studying history, there were only a few mentions of strong women in the past. Heroes were always mentioned left to right. I do love heroes but when I read a book nowadays about strong women in the past, my heart gets all fluttery.  

Scarlet is such fantastic character. She was strong, but she was also weak. Qualities every person has. She could protect herself, and she was able to get out of tough situations, but even the best thief needs back-up. When you are part of Robin Hood’s band of thieves, you fight for the people but you also fight to protect each other.

At first, you don’t know much about Scarlet. Things you do know her at first is… she is pretending to be a boy, she keeps everything to herself, and she tries not to get close to anyone. You figure out she has a bad past, that led her to becoming a thief. When her past does come into revelation, I was shocked. Even though I know a lot of things about Robin Hood, I did not see Scarlet’s past becoming such a shocker to me. I should have pieced it together earlier.

The writing went well with the setting. With a voice likes Scarlet, it takes you back into the past and you experience everything along with her.

Fantastic read! The life of a thief is not a boring one, every day is an adventure! A life that is even more adventurous when you’re a girl. I am now a fan of A. C. Gaughen, and I will be watching for her next novel.

Author/Book News  Latest release.

3 comments:

  1. The more reviews I read for SCARLET, the more I want to read SCARLET itself... when I first saw it online, I didn't add it to my to-read list, but reviews like yours make me want to get a copy after all. Thanks a lot for sharing! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarlet was fantastic! Great review!! I definitely agree with everything you said! When I found out her past, my mouth was hanging open! I should have figured it out earlier but I just couldn't wrap my head around it! Though it was absolutely brilliant on the author's part. And I agree that I liked that she had both strength and weaknesses. It makes her more relatable. Awesome review!

    All the best ♥
    Mackenzie Oh, For the Love of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! I was just like you though; once Scarlet's big secret was revealed I realized I could have put two and two together much earlier... great review!

    ReplyDelete