Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Alice's Review on Slide

Slide
Author: Jill Hathaway (@jillscribbles)
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: March 27, 2012
Format: ARC
Pages: 187
Source: HarperTeen & Ivy
Series: Slide #1
The Other Books: Imposter
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge
Extras: Trailer, Author Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Vee Bell is certain of one irrefutable truth—her sister’s friend Sophie didn’t kill herself. She was murdered.

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body.

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane.

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.

You Should… – Buy it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Recommended

Judge the Cover – I really like this cover. I love how the light is shining on her but not completely showing her. 

A Little Teaser  I can never get used to the feeling of looking through someone else’s eyes. It’s as if each person sees the world in a slightly different hue. The tricky part is figuring out who the person is.

Review – This is usually not the type of book I read. I love historical books and some contemporary, but a murder mystery! This is not my cup of a tea. But the rest of the Seekers are trying books out of their comfort zones, I didn't want to be left out. Ivy, a girl who is crazy about solving mysteries, sent this ARC to me. She threatened me to read this, and she’s a very convincing girl, so here I am.

So…thanks Ivy for sending me this, and you were right. This book was intense. Man, was this book intense. So much drama. I couldn't stop reading, and I never wanted to leave the story. I felt like I was in a TV show, watching and experiencing everything happening in Vee's life.

Sylvia, aka Vee, has narcolepsy. She has this episodes where she passes out. What people don't know is that Vee isn't sleeping, she is actually very awake. But not in her own body. She leaves her body and enters another. When she enters a person's body, she tries to figure out who's body she's in. She only slides if she was touching something personal item that has an emotional connection with the person. In all her experience, Vee has figured out who's body she slid into. 

That is until the day she slides into a person holding a knife, standing over Sophie's body.

Man, did the author kept me guessing! Now, I haven't read a lot of mysteries so, I had to try figure this out right along with Vee. When the murderer is finally revealed, I did not see it coming!

Now I did feel like this book had more the a supernatural mystery plot to it. There was so much contemporary as well. I felt like I was suck into a high school drama. There was crappy ex-boyfriends, teacher/student relationships, back-stabbing friends, and just so much more. The author has made excited to see what happens next, and I am curious to see if maybe Vee's little sister will get the gift as well. 

I suggest for fans of Lisa McMann's Wake Trilogy.

Author/Book News – This is not the end to Vee sliding! There is going to be sequel. Check out Jill's blog to hear any news on the sequel.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I am looking forward to reading this book. I love mysteries so it's just the type of book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many good things about this book and I love your review. I also haven't read a lot of mystery but you made this one a must read :)

    ReplyDelete