Sunday, March 4, 2012

Emilia's Review on Two Truths and a Lie

Two Truths and a Lie
Author: Sara Shepard (@sarabooks)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 17, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 304
Source: Bought
Series: The Lying Game #3
The Other Books: The Lying Game, Never Have I Ever, Hide and Seek
Challenge: None
Extras: Facebook, Website,
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
My killer is out there.
And my sister might be next.

Two months before I died, my best friend’s brother disappeared. I have no idea where Thayer went or why he left, but I know it’s my fault. I did a lot of horrible things while I was alive, things that made people hate me, maybe even enough to kill me.

Desperate to solve my murder, my long-lost twin, Emma, is pretending to be me and unraveling the many mysteries I left behind—my cryptic journal, my tangled love life, the dangerous Lying Game pranks I played. She’s uncovered my friends’ darkest secrets, but she’s never had the chance to dig into Thayer’s past—until now.

Thayer’s back and Emma has to move fast to figure out if he’s after revenge . . . or if he’s already gotten it.

From Sara Shepard, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Pretty Little Liars books, comes a riveting series about secrets, lies, and killer consequences.

You should… – Buy it!

Reason for Reading – Series, Author

Judge the Cover – This is my least favorite of the series, but I love how the theme still hasn’t change. And when lay the books down next to each other, the girls face match up.

A Little Teaser  A nervous chill ran down Emma's spine. She recognized Thayer Vega from his missing person posters--he'd vanished from Tuscon, Arizona, in June. But that was long before Emma had made the trek to Tucson to reunite with her long-lost twin sister, Sutton. Long before she'd received an anonymous note saying that Sutton was dead and that Emma had to take her place, and tell no one. . . or else.

Review – How the last book ended, I really couldn’t wait to continue the series. I’m little mad at myself for not starting the Pretty Little Liars series because I am in love with Sara Shepard’s writing. I love the mystery, the drama, and man, even the love interests. Now, I have only watched Pretty Little Liars and the boys on that show are really hot. And as for the Lying Game, Ethan is one of my favorite characters on the show. I found it a little hard to switch from watching the show and reading the books because the TV series are nothing like the books.

Okay onto to the review. I really, really don’t want to do spoilers but its hard not to, when you're talking about a series. For people who don’t want spoilers, this is your short little review. In the ending of Never Have I Ever, Emma gets a surprise visitor and it’s a big shocker. This book picks off right where Never Have I Ever ended, and now Emma has a new suspect on her hands, and possibly the most difficult one. Sutton has kept a secret life from her family and friends, and since Emma knows nothing, the only people who know anything is Thayer, the suspect, and Sutton, who’s dead.

And now for people who don’t mind some spoilers, please continue reading if you want.

Even though Thayer is a new suspect, from the last two books, you know that in the end, Thayer won’t be a suspect anymore. I know in Emma’s mind, Thayer does seem like an eligible suspect. He was with Sutton the day she died, and he is probably the last person she saw. He also broke in the house to see Sutton and he had a knife with him. So to any rational person, Thayer would be like a number 1 suspect.

To me though, I didn’t feel like he killed Sutton. I think this was because we get to see that Sutton and Thayer had romantic feelings towards each other. Not only that, but he didn’t really seem creepy, just a quiet guy that ran away from home. Somehow, him running away from home, marks him as the bad guy of the town.

The ending! I was disappointed...first I thought Emma should have come clean to Thayer. And second, there is no way that (highlight spoiler->Laurel<-spoiler) did it. Yes, Sutton did something bad to her, but come on. There are other more likely suspects. I am starting to think about Ethan might be hiding something. And...

I still have my suspicions on Charlotte’s dad because first off, Emma talked to him the first day she arrived, and he’s supposed to be in Tokyo. Then, there is the second clue in the second book because he could have easily gone into Charlotte’s house without setting off the alarms. However in this book, I didn't find a single clue that would link him to the murder. The murderer is always the last guy you suspect and they are always in the background of the stories never out in the spotlight.

I have to say I can’t wait for the last book. However, I know when I do read the last book, I am going to have to force myself not to peek at the ending because I am really curious on whom Sutton’s killer really is.

My three top suspects:

1. Charlotte's Dad (clues link him to the murder)
2. Ethan (he seemed suspcious this last book)
3. Mr. Vega (I think the TV show is influencing my decision on this one)

Author/Book News – Last book of the series, Hide and Seek, will be release on July 31, 2012. Can't wait to read the finale of this series, and might start Pretty Little Liars when I'm completely done with The Lying Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment