Sunday, March 4, 2012

Emilia's Review on Unearthly

Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand (@CynthiaHand)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: January 4, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 435
Source: Gift
Series: Unearthly #1
The Other Books: Hallowed, Untitled #3
Challenge: 2012 TBR Pile Reading
Extras: Trailer, Facebook, Author's Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

You should… – Buy it

Reason for Reading – Cover, Gift, Recommended

Judge the Cover – Ah...the cover is so gorgeous! I know there are a lot of girl in dresses covers and this one doesn't have anything to do with the book but she just looks so gorgeous!

A Little Teaser  Don’t tell Jeffrey—he’s not old enough. Don’t tell humans—they won’t believe you and even if they did, they couldn’t handle it. My neck still tingled when I remembered the way she’d said “humans,” like the word suddenly didn’t apply to us.

Review – I love how this book wasn’t just another angel book. There substance and normalcy to it as well. One side where Clara is just experiencing regular teenage life and you can actually say ‘been there, done that’. Then there’s the other side, where Clara is maturing into her angel form and you kind of wish you were part angel as well. There were no action scenes with demons or bad-ass scenes from like a movie; however I am still in love with all of that in the Angelfire series by Courtney Allison Moulton.

The part where Clara is going to regular school, dealing with regular teenage habits and drama, was so much fun to read. I had moments where I was laughing, or sighing, or saying ‘Oh my god’ out loud. It felt like I was reading a contemporary novel! And that part kept me reading more because I wanted something new in ‘angel’ genre and Cynthia gave me what I was looking for.

Then there was her angel side! I love the angelic ideas that Cynthia has given us. Clara isn’t half-angel, she’s only a quarter of an angel. Her mom is half-angel. Even though Clara isn’t a full angel, she has wings and she has this visions. These visions serve as her purpose, and she figure out the meaning behind it. The vision in this book is about a forest fire, and Clara thinks she has to save this boy.

The characters are just amazing. They felt so real to me. Well, it felt like I can picture clearly in my head. I think what I really liked was how Cynthia brought a sibling into the mix. I don’t see that happen often in paranormal books, and I love it. And Jeffery wasn’t just a background person, who shows up in some random spots, he is actually more of a main character. The only characters I couldn’t connect with well were Angela or Wendy. Angela was the one I wanted to know the most about, though. Glad she comes out more in the sequel.

I am actually glad I held off on this one until Hallowed came out, because I could go from the ending of the first right into the next one. AND I have finished the sequel to this book, and I can honestly say the series does get better!! So, if you are holding off, START RIGHT NOW!!

Now, I usually don’t pick teams because I just wait to see how the relationships play out. But I can’t help but love Tucker over Christian. TEAM TUCKER!!

Author/Book News – And some news on Unearthly, that I know a lot of you have probably have already heard. Unearthly might be a new series for the CW, which to me, will be freaking awesome! You can read all about it on Cynthia's blog |HERE|. I am glad that some light is being shined on the 'angel' genre because angels are freaking awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review! I don't tent to read angel books that often, but I love this series. I only read Unearthly a little while before Hallowed was released, and I was glad I waited too. It would have been torture waiting for Hallowed for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of angel books on my shelf, and this is one of my favorites. Ha :) I know I'm glad I waited, I don't think I could have waited a whole year! Now I have to wait year for the next one :(. I will have to reread the series again next year. Thanks for commenting! -Emilia

      Delete