Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ivy's Review on Stolen Away

Stolen Away
Author: Alyxandra Harvey (@AlyxandraH)
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Release Date: January 17, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 288
Source: Bought
Challenge: 2012 Inside the Covers
Extras: Author Interview
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.

You Should... – Burrow it

Reason for Reading TopicCover

Judge the Cover – Cover is what got me interested in the book. It isn't a flashy cover or over the top type cover, and that caught my attention. When I found out it was about faeries, well it was a match made in heaven.

A Little Teaser  “This part is so tiresome,” she told me. “Could you catch up?” I hate having to convince people that they’re not crazy. Maybe you are, it’s nothing to do with me. And I’m not buzzing about forcing you to convince me you’re real, am I?”

Review  This book was not what I was expecting. It was way more exciting and simply fun. I have to say Alxyandra Harvey is a wonderful storyteller. I love her writing and the characters she has brought to life. And why is this only one book? I would definitely want a sequel to this. The characters are just absolutely fun and it’s hard not to love them.

Stolen Away has two points of views. Eloise, who is a tough exterior on the outside but on the inside, she has a really kind heart. And then there is Jo, who is a sassy, flirtatious girl and will do anything to help her friends. Jo was my favorite of the two. She made everything fun to read, I couldn’t stop laughing in some of her scenes. Eloise was okay but her character does become more interesting towards the ending.

There were some points where I had hard time switching from Eloise and Jo, because their voices were similar. This usually happened when I ended one chapter and then continued on to the next one fast because I was really invested into the storyline. Then I start reading and find out I was reading Jo, not Eloise. I think it becomes easier to tell who’s who, a few chapters in.

Then there are the men! We have Lucas is such a charming, protective fellow. He also happens to be a Fae who can turn into a hawk. He comes out of nowhere dressed in weird clothing and tells Eloise is he there to protect her. I wish Lucas and Eloise’s love scenes were more exciting like Jo and Eldric scenes were. Eldric is the official bad boy of the story! He is the son of the evil king, who kidnaps Eloise. He does nothing to help Eloise’s imprisonment, which made me dislike him a little. But he made up for it, with the tense and heart racing moments he has with Jo. What can I say? I just love steaming kiss scenes.

This was really fast-paced book and so hilarious. I was so glad I got to meet these characters and hope I don’t forget them. This is going on my favorites list. I suggest this book to anyone who loves books about the fae or faeries, and I don’t mean the tiny, sparkling ones. However there is one tiny fairy in this book named Isadora, but I would not classify her as sparkling. She has some attitude.

Author or Book NEWS – After reading this book, I really want to read more from this author. I will be starting with the Drake Chronicles, a vampire series that has a 5th novel coming out in June.

4 comments:

  1. I read Stolen Away because I loved what I have read so far in The Drake Chronicles. I didn't think Stolen Away was a s good as The Drake Chronicles.
    Like you I thought Eloise and Jo's voices were too similar and it was really hard to tell whose POV I was reading.
    I liked the book but I just thought it moved along too quickly.
    Glad to see you enjoyed, hope you like The Drake Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I have seen this book around but never really thought about picking it up... However now I will think twice :) I loved your review and seeing I am a Fae lover am glad I stopped by and read your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved this one too and can't wait for a sequel. Harvey is definitely one of my favorite authors, all her works are breathtaking - thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard a lot of mixed things about this book. It sounds good to me though, and it's not very long so if I don't enjoy it very much, it's not like I will be spending a ton of time on it. Thank you for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete