Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Danny's Review on The Calling

The Calling
Author: Kelley Armstrong (@KelleyArmstrong)
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: April 10, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 326
Source: Publisher
Rating: Escapable
Series: Darkness Rising #2
The Other Books: The Gathering, The Rising
Challenge: None
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads

On the heels of the wildly popular The Gathering comes the second in the "Darkness Rising" YA trilogy from NYT bestselling author Kelley Armstrong.

Maya Delaney's paw-print birthmark is the mark of what she truly is--a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly everyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it's only a matter of time before she's able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they're kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.

Love this cover more than the first. I think it is because I can see Maya's entire face. The title goes great with what is going to happen in the book. I didn't get the first title but now I am starting to put the pieces together.
 He let go.

I clawed the air, screaming.

I didn’t even see him drop. The helicopter banked and I caught only a blur of treetops spinning past and when I looked around, there was no Rafe. No sign of him at all.
I really, really tried not to write in spoilers, but failed horribly. So don’t continue if you don’t want to read spoilers. Or continue on, because hey might as well know what’s coming, right?

The sequel continues on right where the first book left off. Kelley brings on the thrills right off the bat. You think they are finally safe, but you couldn’t be more wrong. Maya and some of her classmates are in helicopter to escape from a forest fire. They find out that the pilot did something to the mayor and almost attacked Maya if Daniel didn’t stop him. Then, Sam took over the control of the helicopter and let’s just say that didn’t go over so well.

Rafe is gone, the mayor and pilot are died, and the rest are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

They have to survive not only the wilderness but kidnappers as well. Maya thought she, Rafe, and Annie were the only ones with strange paranormal gifts but it turns out, they are not alone. You know what I was waiting for the most? I was waiting for all the secrets to come out. You know how it is with tense scenes like they’re in. They are stuck in the forest, trying to survive, and the only thing left to do is talk. Yeah some big secrets are revealed. I was really surprised by Nicole.

This book has the same pacing as the first book. You will hit some slow parts and then Kelley surprises you with some unforeseen events. There were points in this book where I wanted to take a little sneak peek of the ending. The kids are walking through the forest to survive, and I wanted to see who makes it and who doesn’t.

Now, some of the things happening might be predictable for people who have read the Darkest Powers first. I know some readers who are making connections between the two series. Which makes me sad because I really need to read that series but keep on slacking off.

The ending! Ugh, now we have to wait a whole year before the next book. It looks like the characters from the Darkest Powers trilogy are going to make an appearance in the last book. Eh, I can’t wait! I guess this is the time for me to read the Darkest Powers trilogy and start putting the pieces together.

The only thing that did bug me about the series is the trailers. The trailers for both books were a little…off. Some of things that were in those trailers weren’t in the books. Some of the things that were in the second trailer made me think Maya was the leader and taking care of everyone. But it wasn’t just her. Daniel was there. 
This is her latest release. Next book in the series is titled The Rising. I really hope we survive 2012 because I need to finish this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment