Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Danny's Review on The Gathering

The Gathering
Author: Kelley Armstrong (@KelleyArmstrong)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 12, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 359
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Darkness Rising #1
The Other Books: The Calling, The Rising
Challenge: None
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.

Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel . . . . different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The Gathering, New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy.

The cover is dark and pretty. It is very similar to the Kelley's first trilogy Darkest Powers. In that series, the girl was showcasing different necklaces. In this series, the girl is showcasing different pairs of earrings. I liked the themes for both of the series but curious on why jewelry? 
It was as if my hand was being pulled into the cage against my will. The marten didn’t even flinch, just sat there and waited, dark eyes on mine, calm and trusting.

I touched her wounded flank. Pain ripped through my leg and I stumbled back.
I haven’t read too many fantasy novels with romance in them. When I do, the main character is always a guy. I don’t know why that is, maybe I am a little sexist. Or maybe it’s because lately there a lot of YA books told from a girl’s point of view. I don’t know. But I have heard a lot of great things about Kelley’s writing and decided to take a chance at her latest series.

When I first read this book, it was amazing. I read some of the other reviews though and noticed this was a spin-off series from Kelley’s first trilogy, Darkest Powers. I was concerned because I thought maybe I was being left out from knowing some major things. I told myself I was going to read that series first before reviewing The Gathering and The Calling. It never happened. The Calling came out and I knew I wanted to hear more from Maya and the other characters so I couldn’t resist.

Now I did read this novel again so I can refresh my memory on everything. It still an awesome read the second time around.

I definitely enjoyed the mystery of the town and Maya. There were also some very cute boys in this book as well. I really enjoyed these characters that Kelley has presented us with. Maya, the main character, was smart, strong-willed, athletic, speaks her mind type of girl. She was strong character but even she had some small moments where some things were just too much.

As for the cute boys, Daniel was my favorite. He was protective over Maya and probably the greatest best guy friend ever. As for Rafe, he was just a typical bad boy that only has a soft side for the main girl. He was mysterious and at some points, I couldn’t read fast enough because it seems whenever Maya was around him, freaky stuff happen.

As for the storyline, there wasn’t a part where I was bored. There was mystery everywhere! One, how did Serena really die? And two, why would a crazy old lady call Maya a witch? There were some slow points but after a few pages, something big happens. In the end, my mind couldn’t stop thinking about what might happen next and coming up with some predictions. Even when I read it a second time, although this time I had the second book so I could continue with the story right away.

As for the Darkest Powers trilogy, that series is going on the top of my summer reading list.
This is the first book in the Darkness Rising Trilogy. Next book is The Calling which was released in April. The last book of the series is coming out in 2013, titled The Rising. Titles and dates are subject to change.

1 comment:

  1. Great review :) I really enjoyed the Darkest Powers trilogy so this review makes me think I will feel the same for this one!! I have both The Gathering and The Calling so hopefully I will get to them soon!!

    ReplyDelete