Sunday, June 24, 2012

Emilia's Review on Bumped

Bumped
Author: Megan McCafferty (@meganmccafferty)
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Format: Kindle
Pages: 324
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Series: Bumped #1
The Other Books: Thumped
Challenge: 2012 TBR Reading Pile Challenge
Extras: Author Interview
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
WHEN A VIRUS makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents must pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they search for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend, Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to convince Melody that pregging for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.

From New York Times bestselling author Megan McCafferty comes a strikingly original look at friendship, love, and sisterhood—in a future that is eerily believable.
The cover and title goes well with the book. I think I read the word bump at least a hundred times so that was the perfect fit for the title. Okay maybe not a hundred, but still. I also like the egg on the cover. To quote the book, you can’t have PREGG without EGG.
That’s it. I terminate. I skulk behind the curtains, strip off the Preggerz FunBump, and hang it on the wall hook. I had come here today hoping that the experience would help me feel breedier than I did before Malia’s meltdown, but all I’ve done is remind myself just how far behind I am. Unburdening myself of the fake belly does little to improve my state of mind.
I had this book on my Kindle for awhile now. I think for about six months. I bought the book when Harperteen was doing some special on it, and it was only $0.99. I couldn’t turn down a good price like that. I hardly read books on my Kindle because I prefer published copies. I only read e-books if I am really interested in the novel or if it was a requested review. Besides those, I only touch my Kindle maybe once or twice a month.

Well, I am trying to change that. Since I had this book for awhile now, and I have a copy of the sequel, I thought I might as well give Bumped a chance.

Bumped was an okay book for me. I am not into shows like Teen Mom or 16 and Pregnant. I actually find those types of shows uninteresting, but I hardly ever like reality shows. So I didn’t really have high expectations for this book. To me, it was just going to be a quick read or just a book to check out.

The premise did sound really good. I mean can you imagine being rushed into getting pregnant. I don’t know how these girls could stand all the pressure of getting pregnant as fast as they can. In this world, girls and boys are pretty much getting paid to have babies for other people. Some get paid more than others depending how well your file looks. It all comes down to if your intelligence, good-looks, healthy lifestyles, and well-rounded personalities. You just wait for the highest bidder.

The book is only set through a couple of days. Yeah, that’s right a few days. I was little surprised that so much can happen in only a few days. Harmony leaves Goodside, a Church life style, to find and connect with her Melody. Then, Harmony doing something I didn’t expect her to do. She goes behind her sister’s back and takes her sister’s sperm fellow and bumps with him.

I get that the author was trying to show us that the girls had choices if they were only brave enough to see them. The characters were just a little wacky for me. I took me awhile to connect with them. And since the book’s setting is only like three days, I don’t think it was enough time to truly understand the characters and their choices.

There were some things that I liked about the book and some that I don’t. What I liked was taking some serious topics like religion and getting pregnant at a young age, and making it relatable to teenagers. Even though it’s futuristic, you can still see the challenges of being pregnant and the choices you have to make. The author also made some parts really funny and I always count that as a plus.

As for the things I don’t like, well it was just mostly the characters. I wanted to connect with them more. When the book came to end, I felt like I didn’t even know why everything went down the way it did. I just felt confused.

Will I continue on to the next book? Yes, because I am curious to see what happens to the characters.

This book was a futuristic world with some romance and lots of drama. So if you like that kind of thing, then this book might be just for you.
Thumped, the final book in the series, is already out. Find out more about the sequel on it's Goodreads page.

1 comment:

  1. Great review,
    I'm really glad you really broke down the book for us readers. I read the book and loved it, as well. And I agree, I felt I didn't connect with the characters as much, maybe, just Melody, not really Harmony. And I'd like to learn more about Zen. He was cool as well.

    Kandee

    ReplyDelete