Monday, June 18, 2012

Emilia's Review on Hourglass

Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire (@MyraMcEntire)
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Format: E-book
Pages: 387
Source: Kindle
Rating: Escapable
Series: Hourglass #1
The Other Books: Timepiece, Infinityglass
Challenge: 2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
I really like this cover. It's kind of creepy with the girl walking to the floor, on the wall sideways. Her dress looks kind of like a hourglass as well. I am not sure it has anything to do with the book.
“Offering to help me implies I’m in distress. I’m not currently.”

“What about ten minutes ago when you tried to put your drink on a piano that wasn’t there?”

“That wasn’t distress. That was . . .” I sucked wind.

He saw the piano.
Gosh, this book was full of surprises. With time-travel, you can never guess what's going to happen and I love that. This book was slow for me but not because it didn’t have exciting moments or great romance. Because the book had both of those! Nope, I was just having a busy week and didn’t have the time to read. Ugh, I hate when that happens because there are so many parts where I didn’t want to step away.

The one thing that really got me excited was the great cast of characters. Usually in YA, it seems like there are no parents to tell their kids NO. In this book, there is some parental guidance but not from Emerson’s parents. Emerson’s brother is taking care of her and in most parts, he is strict with rules. So is his wife Dru. I don’t think the story would be great without them.

The best characters of all though are Emerson and Michael. Ah, the chemistry between those two J!! There is a little love triangle going on but it wasn’t like over the top. Emerson and Michael’s chemistry is sparks, hidden emotions, and you can just tell they want each other. Emerson and Kaleb’s thing is more of an understanding of each other’s feelings and history. They have common ground but not enough to be love. At least I hope not because I am so Team Michael! Kaleb is cute, funny, and knows how to…well…distract Em. Who knows because the second book seems to have a lot of Kaleb in it…

The only other characters I wish I got to see more of is Lily, Emerson’s best friend. She was a really good friend, and we find out some stuff about her. Also, the others teenagers who were part of Hourglass, I wish we got to see them in action.

As for the time-traveling, I found it really believable. The only thing I found a little confusing is why could Michael see the past and future, but Em could only see the past? Maybe I miss the part where they explain it. I only read one other time-traveling novel, which was Tempest by Julie Cross. That one was way different from this book. If you guys could suggest others, then I would love to check them out.

And you know what, if you read the book, I am glad Em went back. Not just for Liam, but for someone else. It would have broken my heart if she didn't. It did lead into something terrible but without her going back, they would have never known who betrayed them.

Can't wait to continue on with the sequel, Timepiece. Maybe I will fall in love with Kaleb then?
First off, Hourglass right now is now on sale for Kindle for only $1.59! Go and buy it to read the first of the series. Click |HERE| to visit Amazon!

Timepiece was just recently released. Check out it's Goodreads page |HERE|. It looks like we will get more Kaleb and the other Hourglass folks. There is also going to be a third book, titled Infintyglass. That is set to be released sometime in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I really need to pick up this book!! I keep saying that and still haven't. Then I read reviews like this and I go through my wanting again.

    ReplyDelete