Saturday, June 30, 2012

Emilia's Review on The Other Life

The Other Life
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Release Date: May 15, 2012
Format: E-Galley
Pages: 190
Source: NetGalley
Rating: Reachable
Series: The Other Life #1
The Other Books: The Life Beyond
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life.

Sherry and her family have lived sealed in a bunker in the garden since things went wrong up above. Her grandfather has been in the freezer for the last three months, her parents are at each other’s throats and two minutes ago they ran out of food.

Sherry and her father leave the safety of the bunker and find a devastated and empty LA, smashed to pieces by bombs and haunted by ‘Weepers’ - rabid humans infected with a weaponized rabies virus.

While searching for food in a supermarket, Sherry’s father disappears and Sherry is saved by Joshua, a boy-hunter. He takes her to Safe-haven, a tumble-down vineyard in the hills outside LA, where a handful of other survivors are picking up the pieces of their ‘other lives’. As she falls in love for the first time, Sherry must save her father, stay alive and keep Joshua safe when his desire for vengeance threatens them all
I like this cover better than the other one. I think it's because of the guy running in the background, while there's a deserted city behind him. It makes me curious on why he's running.
Through the haze, I watched the creature drop to the ground. I scrambled away, not wanting to be anywhere near this thing, no matter if it were dead or alive. Bullet wounds littered its hairy body, oozing blood. A milky liquid flowed from its eyes—it looked like it was crying.
This book was more like werewolves then zombies to me. The description given about the Weepers made me think of werewolves. So, I wasn’t as freaked out about this one as I was with some other zombie novels. 

This book was really quick paced than most dystopian books I have read. It seems like every dystopian I have read are really thick books. The plot would be sometimes fast then sometimes slow. Usually, in the slow parts, the characters are explaining what is going to happen to our world in the future. Some authors do it right and others not so much. Susanne pretty much explains everything about what happened to Sherry’s world in a couple of chapters. Yes, there are still questions that are unanswered, but she does hit the main points about what happened and it isn’t boring.

Another thing I did like was on every other chapter, there was a memory from Sherry’s other life. The life before the virus spread throughout the country. A life that was very much like ours.

Okay now to the action. Weepers did make my heart race whenever they came at Sherry, which was a lot of times. They were creepy and these zombie/werewolf creatures are intelligent. They are really fast, super senses, and surprisingly big. They have predator instincts, so if they smell blood, they hunt.

Isn’t funny how authors make you think a character is going die, but there are still lots of pages left in the book, so the character has to live, and yet you still freak out?

I think that’s what made the book more interesting to me. These humans that have been hiding in bunkers for years and some are weak, fighting against Weepers that are stronger and faster than them. It’s kill or be killed kind of situation.

The characters were also pretty interesting. I wasn’t connecting with Sherry during the first couple of pages. But when she went back for her dad to save him, my spirits were lifted. I can see this girl is brave. She might not have killer instincts, sometimes her human instincts take over, but she will do anything to protect people.

The love interest was good too. Joshua is kickass. Taking on all those Weepers! I don’t know how he does it, but he always survives with a few cuts and bruises. What girl wouldn’t want a guy that knows how to hunt?

Overall, it was an okay book for me. That might change as the series continues because towards the ending, it begins to get more interesting.
Next book in the series is titled The Life Beyond, check out the Goodreads page |HERE|.

2 comments:

  1. I totally loved this book, though in the UK it is called "The Other Life" and has a different cover (which I also loved) I am definitely looking forward to BK2 and it's added to my Goodreads wishlist already. I think BK1 set the scene and was the start of a great series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... Just wow. I really need to pick up this book!! Kinda had the heart racing just reading the review!! Looking forward to this one now. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete