Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on Hemlock

Hemlock
Author: Kathleen Peacock (@kathleenpeacock)
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 416
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Hemlock #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads, HarperTeen
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.
I love this cover! It’s what drew me to the book in the first place. You know what’s funny though. Every time I see a character on the cover, I wonder who it is. So, when the author describes the main character, I hurry and go check the cover to see if it matches the description. Is it just me or does everyone do that?
Something soft and warm slid across my skin. Fur? I held my breath and turned my head. A werewolf was sniffing the blood on my arm.

The wolf gave a small yelp and shook its head. I started crawling backward, slowly, watching it for any sign it was about to leap for my throat.
I must admit something. I did put this book down after reading only a couple of pages. Don’t get me wrong, I am a big werewolf fan! I just wasn’t in the mood to read paranormal. Then, I was on Twitter taking a break from reading, and saw this tweet by @BookLove101. I just couldn’t wait to get to page 282. So, I picked the book back up and read. Thank the heavens I did :D!!!

Werewolves are supposed to be unpredictable, and you never know when they are going to transform. That is except for those that transform on full moons. Anyways, besides those, when I read a werewolf book, I want it to be unpredictable. I want surprises in every dark corner. Give me some thrills and chills, man. 

Yeah, that's what this book does.

These types of werewolves are not very friendly. They act like animals that they are. You do not want to drop a single drop of blood in front of them, or they will come at you like sharks. Some are able to control themselves, but losing their tempers can make them transform. Also, if you get bit or scratch by them, you are infected by the werewolf virus.

There were parts where the author describe some gory scenes. One main scene was Mac's best friend being murder by a werewolf. Mac has some crazy dreams about Amy and man, are some them chilling. It wasn't too frightening but I felt sorry for Mac going through all of that. 

The plot was really good. You will have a slow part for like a couple pages, and then something unsuspected happens. The mystery of Amy's death, and who her murder is, was really good. I kept trying to figure out before Mac did. I did have some suspicions but was still surprised in the end.

As for the characters. The story is told from Mac's point of view, but Mac, Jason, and Kyle are like the three top characters in this story. They are all going through different stages and emotions about Amy's death and blaming themselves about it. Mac has nightmares about Amy. Jason is drinking more and more. Kyle blames himself for not answering Amy's call. 

There is a little love triangle going on, but the third person in the triangle isn't revealed till much later. So, I am not going to say too much. However, I did really love this romance. 

This book had so many parts where I felt so giddy. Like you know on a movie, when you see the main character trying to get out of burning building, and there's that moment where they might not make it, but you're still sitting there in ah. Yeah, good moments.
This is part of a trilogy. No news yet on the sequel's title or date release.

No comments:

Post a Comment