Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sarah's Review on Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe

Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe
Author: Shelley Coriell (@ShelleyCoriell)
Publisher: Amulet Books
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 299
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Chloe Camden has a big heart and as even bigger collection of vintage shows, not to mention a big personailty and a primo spot with the in-crowd. But her world careens off its axis when her best friend inexplicably turns the entire school against her. Alone and desperate, Chloe joins her school's struggling radio station, where she must team up with a group of misfits who don't find her too queenly.

Chloe ends up hosting a call-in show that gets the station some much-needed publicity but also trouble, both for the station and for the radio techie Duncan Moore, a quiet soul with a romantic heart. On and off the air, Chloe must think carefully about whether it's better to talk or to listen.
The cover had me hook. It was shiny, bright, and cute. One look and I bought it.
I was a lover, not a fighter.

When words collided and emotions exploded, my friends and fam could count on me for a pithy redirect or well-timed joke. But not today, not after my encounter with the angry zombie girl masquering as one of my best friends.
From the beginning, I could tell I was going to like Chloe. She was funny and she was talking about being a burrito. And she likes vintage shoes. But when her best friend pulls up, and tells Chloe that she’s self-centered, I was a little worried. I usually don’t like characters that only care about them but Chloe had such a bright attitude, I continued on.

Then the story switches on me.

I couldn’t believe that Brie used to be Chloe’s best friend. Because for one, I know my friends sometimes made mistakes but to literally make their life hell, it just doesn’t seem possible. Maybe I’m just too friendly. Brie went far and beyond to make sure Chloe’s life was hell, and told many lies to make everyone think Chloe was the bad person.

Chloe is literally shut out of the in-crowd and has become an outsider. With a little counselor’s assistance, Chloe joins a radio show which is a hub for other outsiders. Chloe doesn’t like it at first, but she really has some great ideas. Duncan, the little romance, really helps her out a lot.

However her best friends and the radio show isn’t the only thing strange in Chloe’s life. Her grandmother has Parkinson, which makes her forgetful and makes her do some things that are extremely dangerous. Chloe’s mother is trying to protect her grandmother by trying to move her so she is not alone. They fight about this a lot, and Chloe sometimes gets in the middle.

I was worried that Chloe’s first live radio show would go badly and hoping I was wrong. I was wrong! It went just fine. Chloe was a little nervous but once you get that girl talking, she can’t stop. She has a great personality. Also, who knew you could get so many life lessons from a Mexican restaurant. 

This book was just the right amount of fun, romancey, and serious at some points.
Latest release.

1 comment:

  1. Great review Sarah..this sounds like a fun, light romance!

    ReplyDelete