Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Danny's Review on A Beautiful Evil

A Beautiful Evil
Author: Kelly Keaton (@KellyKeaton)
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 285
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Gods & Monsters #2
The Other Books: Darkness Becomes Her
Challenge: Sophomore Reading Challenge
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
A power she can't deny. A destiny she's determined to fight. 

When Ari first arrived in the dilapidated city of New 2, all she wanted was to figure out who she was. But what she discovered was beyond her worst nightmare. Ari is a descendant of Medusa and can already sense the evil growing inside her—a power the goddess Athena will stop at nothing to possess.


Desperate to hold on to her humanity and protect her loved ones, Ari must fight back. But Athena's playing mind games, not just with Ari but with those Ari cares about most. And Athena has a very special plan for the brooding and sexy Sebastian.


Ari is determined to defeat Athena, but time is running out. With no other options, Ari must unleash the very thing she's afraid of: herself.
I really liked the first covers but the new ones do stand out. I really like this one more than the first one though. The hair transforming into a snake is awesome.
I needed three things to open the doorway as the High Priestesses had done. Athena's blood, the symbols committed to memory, and virginity—because every priestess of Athena's was a virgin. I had two of the three in the bag; now I just needed to figure out how to get some of Athena's blood.
In my opinion, this book was way better than the first. I think this was because the setting had to be set and you have to get to know this new world Kelly has created for you. Not only is A Beautiful Evil fantasy/paranormal, it is also a mystery. You keep making guesses on what will happen but then you get it wrong.

I’ve wanted to read this book ever since I finished reading the first book. However, it has been a year, and I kind of forgot what happened in the first book. I kind of had to skim the first novel, to remember what happened. Kelly did an okay job reminded you what happened.

I am a big fan of Greek Mythology and never read any retellings where the goddess Athena is the bad guy, or I mean girl. That’s what got me interested in this series. Kelly adds more to the story though. This story has a lot of heart to it. I did feel it until the end of the first novel, but you get it even more in this book.

In the first book, Ari was trying to find out who she is and why her mother left her a note telling her to run. She goes into New 2, New Orleans rebuilt after the disastrous hurricanes, a place filled with dark secrets and creatures. In the end, Ari finds out who she is and is afraid what she might become. She is destined to become a gorgon, a god-killer, and Athena wants to use her as a weapon.

In this book, Ari is training to defeat Athena. She is not only training physically but mentally. She needs to learn everything she can about Athena. She is doing all of this because she wants to rescue her father and her friend, Violet, from Athena. Ari makes so many plans in this novel but Athena is always a step ahead of her. Ari goes through so much in this novel, it puts you through a emotional ride. But one thing that does surprise Athena, and me, is Ari’s choices.

I was worried about Sebastian and Ari’s romance, but in the end I was satisfied.

What I love the most in this novel is the action and learning things about Athena and Ari. And the ending part, Ari discovers something, so hopefully there will be more Gods in the next book. Maybe even more monsters.
Third book?

"Yes, there will be a 3rd Ari book! It's currently being written and release information will be posted here as soon as its know." - Kelly Keaton, her website.

I'm so glad there's third book because the ending kind of leaves you wanting to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment