Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Emilia's Review on Article 5

Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons (@kris10writes)
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: January 31, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 362
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Series: Article 5 #1
The Other Books: Breaking Point
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras:
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.
Love this cover. It pulled me into the book in the first place. After reading, I noticed Chase is wearing his red, plaid shirt. I like how that stands out.
“You. The only thing in my life that doesn’t change. When everything went to hell, you  were all I had.” It took me a full beat to realize he was serious. When I did, I had to remind myself to keep breathing.
I have wanted to check out this book forever. But I kept putting it lower and lower on my TBR pile. I finally decided to push it to the top of my list. This book for me was an up and down roller coaster. There were parts where I was really excited. And then, there were parts where I was torn between liking it and hating it.

The parts I really did like were the adventure parts. I love reading Ember and Chase running for their lives. There was so much tension and heartfelt moments. She doesn’t want to trust him because she knew he changed. She also blames him for taking her mother away from her and not doing anything to help. Ember kept planning to run away from him.

Chase was struggling as well. I am not going to say too much on that because too many spoilers. I thought Chase was actually doing good though. He was helping her escape and find safety away from everyone that was coming after her. All he wanted was to protect her, and Ember kept plotting to runaway. Ember was being stubborn.

If it was me, I would have let him help me to safety then tell him to leave. However, if Ember did this, there wouldn’t have been as much excitement as there was.

As for the things I didn’t like, I really didn’t like the Girls’ Reformatory and Rehabilitation Center. That place is all kinds of wrong. I hated the leader there.

At the end, I felt heartbroken but really glad for a certain two coming together. I read that some people think there might be a love triangle forming but I doubt it. The other guy is pure evil and did something that I am pretty sure Ember could never forgive.
Next book in the series is titled Breaking Point and is coming out next year. I also read there is going to be a third and final book. I really excited to read the second book, to see if there is even more excitement and adventure. Hopefully, there is more romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment