Thursday, July 12, 2012

Gabrielle's Review on A Need So Beautiful

A Need So Beautiful
Author: Suzanne Young
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Release Date: June 21, 2011
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 267
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: A Need So Beautiful #1
The Other Books: A Want So Wicked
Challenge: 2012 TBR Reading Pile
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...

Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger.

But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely.

Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.
This cover is gorgeous. When I first saw it, I didn't even notice the gold mark on her shoulder. After reading the story, I am so glad it's there because it really important.
“Changing into what?”

“The Forgotten.”

I stare at him, anger and fear welling up inside me. “What is that?”

“You have a destiny, Charlotte. A purpose. The Forgotten save people, they save souls. You’re like a gift to Earth.”
I was shopping at my local B&N and this was on display with its sequel, A Want So Wicked, next to it. I wanted to buy this book since last year but I hadn’t heard a lot about the book. I checked online again to see if people liked the book, and heard a lot of great things so I bought the series.
                                     
First, I want to say I had mixed feelings when I first began this book. I was little confused about what was happening to Charlotte. First the Need, the pull that she has to do good, it sounded really painful. Then her skin started to peel on her shoulder and underneath was gold skin. I was totally freaking out for her. Then her family friend/doctor tries to explain what she is but it confuses me even more.

Why are we meeting a character if she’s going to fade away in the end? I didn’t want that to happen.

The story starts to take a positive turn when Onika comes in. She was scary, but you can tell she had a purpose when Charlotte first saw her. She keeps coming back to visit Charlotte. When Charlotte finds out she’s a Forgotten, she finds out that helping people will sacrifice her. People she cares about will begin to forget everything about her. Onika tells her that there’s a way out of being forgotten.

No wonder this book is so heartbreaking. You are getting to know this character only to find out she only has a few weeks before she is forgotten and disappears. She also only has a little bit of time to say goodbye to everyone. Ugh, it is such a killer.

At first, I wasn’t sure about this book. I was about to put it down, but the suspense was starting to get to me. All of these questions that needed to be answered. And the ending! I am glad I bought both of the books together or I would have to wait to jump on the next.

If you like angel books or deep, emotional books, this book is for you.
Next book in the series is A Want So Wicked, which was just recently released.

2 comments:

  1. Great review!! I seriously love these books!! Wait until you get to book 2 <3 However if you felt this was heart breaking brace yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read the summary of the sequel, and omg I am freaking out. Can't wait read it. I am actually going to start right now!

      Thanks for commenting :) Gaby

      Delete