Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ivy's Review on Deadly Cool

Deadly Cool
Author: Gemma Halliday
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: October 11, 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 303
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Deadly Cool #1
The Other Books: Social Suicide
Challenge: 2012 TBR Reading Pile
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
First I find out that my boyfriend is cheating on me. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And now he's depending on me to clear his name. Seriously?

As much as I wouldn't mind watching him squirm, I know that he's innocent. So I'm brushing off my previously untapped detective skills and getting down to business. But I keep tripping over dead bodies, and I'm still no closer to figuring out who did it. And what's worse: all signs seem to point to me as the killer's next victim.

I really need to pick a better boyfriend next time.
Is this not the coolest eyes ever!? Those suckers make you stop and stare at this cover. Definitely eye-catching.
The button popped open, and I prayed Chase was wearing a pair of really big, baggy boxers.

No such luck. My eyes were glued, as if watching a car wreck, as he slid the zipper down a scant inch.

No boxer waistband.

No tighty-whitey waistband.

Chase was going commando.

“Stop!” I yelled. I covered my eyes with one hand as I crawled out from under the bed.
I was searching for a book to read in between two big books that I needed to read. I asked for some recommendations and one person suggested the Deadly Cool series. The cover definitely caught my eye so I went out and bought it.

Everyone knows I am a big fan of murder mystery books. When I saw this book, I really wanted to read it. However, I didn’t this book was going to be a fun, light read. I thought it was going to have a lot more scary, chilly parts, but instead, it was more like Clubhouse Detectives. Some parts made your heart race but there were also a lot of parts that made you laugh.

I liked Hartley. She had great commentary to a lot of things and always made smile. Her ex-boyfriend, on the other hand, what a jerk. First he cheats, and then he expects her to clear his name. Hartley does help him but I was hoping maybe a little more fight then just agreeing to it. You can tell she really cares for him and maybe I would have felt the same way if I was in her shoes.

One thing I did like was it still had the murder mystery story aspect. You know every great murder mystery has to have lots of suspects. It keeps you reading, because you’re trying to put the clues together before the main character. Then in the end, the author kind of surprises you with the killer’s identity. I was surprised on whom the killer was, but I was also surprised by the other suspects that popped up. One name in particular.

If you are in the mood for a light, fun read, this is a book you need to read. I am excited to start on the second book.
Next book in the series is titled Social Suicide. 

3 comments:

  1. I have these books on my shelves and I keep taking them off to read then putting them back... I loved your review and will hopefully take this one off and actually read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this last year and still haven't gotten to it yet. It sounds good though. I love a good light and fun mystery!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I would stop by and say thanks to your review I am now reading this one! Only 100 pages in and really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete