Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ivy's Review on Social Suicide

Social Suicide
Author: Gemma Halliday
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Format: Paperback
Pages: 277
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Deadly Cool #2
The Other Books: Deadly Cool
Challenge: 2012 Sophomore Reading Challenge
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper's brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went...a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH's resident body finder, I'm stuck trying to prove that Sydney's death wasn't suicide.

I'm starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos...
The first book I was guessing it was Hartley. On this one, I think it's Sydney. I also love how there are a little shocks because that's how Sydney died.
I felt a sudden chill run up my spine. “I was outside her place just a couple minutes later. She must have sent that tweet right before…”

Sam’s eyes got all big and round. “She went in the pool,” she finished for me. “Ohmigod. She was killed while tweeting. It was Twittercide!”
This is the second book of the Deadly Cool series. I did like this book more than the first one but only by a little bit. I think it’s because how the characters are growing and the little romance going on.

You may continue reading but there are some spoilers.

I really need to find out where this high school and mark it on the map “Do Not Go Here” because man does this school have a lot of murders. In the last book, there were two murders and Hartley almost got murder as well. She was saved just in time though by Chase. After all that crazy, Hartley is offered a job on the school’s newspaper.

So, this is where are story continues. Hartley is currently working on a story about a girl who got caught cheating on a math test using nail polish. When she heads out to do an interview with the girl, Hartley finds Sydney facedown in the pool. The cops think it’s a suicide, but Hartley thinks there is more to it.

So we have another murder mystery on our hands. Of course, there is a long list of victims and yet again, I was surprised who the murderer was.

If you liked the characters in the first book, you will love them in this one. All these characters make Hartley more fun to read about. Her friend Sam helps Hartley with the cases and also some maybe-dates. Then there is of course, Chase, who brings out the cute, embarrassing side of Hart. I love seeing Chase and Hart together and the ending I was like finally. I can’t believe Chase waited that long to ask her out!

Just like the first, this book was full of great mystery and laughs. Again, if you like a light read full of fun, these books are for you.
This is her latest release. I was hoping for a third book, but who knows. This book did have a good ending so who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment