Monday, July 9, 2012

Sarah's Review on 52 Reasons to Hate My Father

52 Reasons to Hate My Father
Author: Jessica Brody (@jessicabrody)
Publisher: Farrar Straus and Giroux
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 335
Source: Bought
Rating: Reachable
Challenge: 2012 Completely Contemp Challenge
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it. 

Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.

Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.
This cover is very eye-catching and represents the story well. When I first saw the cover, I didn't get what was on her head. Now I see it's a fast food cap. Clever.
I roll my eyes. “Quit with the Mother Teresa crap, Bruce, and just get on with it.”

He smiles indulgently. “Your father has selected precisely fifty-two occupations for you to undertake.”

Fifty-two,” I repeat in shock. “He wants me to do fifty-two different jobs!?”
First off, I have always love Jessica Brody’s novels because she always finds a way to make me laugh or smile. I wasn’t sure if I was going to read this book, because I heard it was about rich girl learning a lesson. I only like watching movies about that stuff and I never liked reading about them. Then the trailer came out, and that’s what made me not only buy the book but also put it on top of my TBR pile.

Okay where to begin!

First off, I want to say her dad taking everything away on her birthday was messed up. I would have let her have one last day of fun and then… you know… ruin her life.

Lexi’s character was so much fun to read about and I did find myself connecting with her on some levels. You really do see her change as a character through out the novel. I really like that. Yes, this is about a rich girl learning about what it’s like to work for a living. With Lexi’s character though, the whole experience was a delight.

As for the jobs, I didn’t get the full experience on that. I thought we get to see more of them than we did. The ones we did get to see were fun to read. The others Lexi kind of just gave a review on what she did. I wanted a little bit more on that.

Also the romance was missing the spark I needed. I will be honest though, and went crazy for some of Lexi and Luke moments but not all of them.

In the end, I did love some things about it but afterwards, it was an okay novel for me. If you’re looking for a fun, summer read, this one might just be for you.
She is actually writing a science fiction novel, titled Unremembered, coming out in March 2013. And guess what? It's a series! I always wanted a series from her so, I can't wait! Click |HERE| to view the Goodreads page.

No comments:

Post a Comment