Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sarah's Review on Arise

Arise
Author: Tara Hudson (@thudsonwrites)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: June 5, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 407
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Hereafter #2
The Other Books: Hereafter, Elegy
Challenge: Sophomore Reading Challenge
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
New Orleans
Saint Louis
Number One Cemetery
A night there can change a life . . . or a death.

Increasingly worried that dark spirits will carry out their threats and hurt the people she cares for most, Amelia is ready to try anything to protect them. And for his own very different reasons, Joshua has come to this cemetery at midnight to join her in a powerful ritual.

Both know that once Amelia steps inside the Voodoo circle and the beautiful girl from the Conjure Cafe begins the ceremony, everything will change.

Tara Hudson's enthralling sequel to Hereafter escalates the danger and excitement, bringing a new dimension to her already mesmerizing story of a haunted love.
I really love these covers for the series. This one is my favorite though because to me it's more ghostly. I love the mix of colors.
“Still no good enough, Amelia. You have to stay away forever, especially from the people you care about. Otherwise, their association with you might get them killed.”


"'Association'? I . . . I don't understand."
"My old masters aren't omniscient, Amelia. They don't know your every move, or every detail about your history. All they can do is follow you, study you, and then act accordingly. Whatever—whoever—they see with you, they will attack. But if you don't give them anyone to hunt, then . . . well . . ."
Just as great as the first, maybe even better.

Okay, from what I remember, the first book was half romance and half creepy, ghostly events. In this one, it’s more action, crazy dreams, demons popping out at you, and a romance that is trying to keep together.

I have been waiting for this book forever. When I finally got in the mail, I had to put it on hold because I was way to busy. When I finally got a chance to read it, I was only going to read a little bit before going to sleep. I read a third of it and put it down. I tried to go to sleep but couldn’t get Amelia out of my head. So, I kept on reading. There were a lot of moments where I squealed or whispered “oh my god”. My fianc√© kicked me out of the room so he can get some sleep.

Is it just me or did Hudson’s writing got better in this book? I was so fascinated by how the plot just flowed together. I also love how she bought more ghosts and Seers into this one. There was also even more danger for the Mayhews. She also brought up a place that is opposite of the netherworld.

Another thing I liked was how Amelia was struggling to stay with Joshua. She notices Joshua living his life behind and putting all of his attention on her. He hardly talks to his friends anymore. Amelia doesn’t want Joshua’s life to be like this. She keeps contemplating what to do; leaving him is a decision that keeps coming to mind.

When Eli, yes the evil ghost is back, warns her that his masters are coming after her, Amelia leaving Joshua becomes an urgent choice. If she doesn’t leave him, the demons might hurt Joshua and his family to get to her.

That’s all before New Orleans though. In New Orleans, things get even more crazy and dangerous. And Amelia even gets a . . . pulse. I not going to say too much on that because it ruins the story but, it was surprising.

The ending was heartbreaking but there is still hope. I don’t know how this series is going to end, maybe a final battle between the demons and Amelia. I also don’t know what will happen with Amelia and Joshua relationship. There are so many questions I have, and I know I am going to have to wait.

Arise is the latest in Hereafter series. Elegy is the next book in the series and possibly the final book of the series as well. It is set to be release sometime in 2013.

1 comment:

  1. An evil ghost and great characters~ sounds good. I need to read book one first!

    ReplyDelete