Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sarah's Review on Flirting in Italian

Flirting in Italian
Author: Lauren Henderson
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Source: Gift
Rating: Reachable
Series: Flirting in Italian #1
The Other Books: Following in Love in Italian
Challenge: 2012 Completely Contemp Challenge
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Four girls. One magical, and possibly dangerous Italian summer. Family mysteries, ancient castles, long hot nights of dancing under the stars . . . and, of course, plenty of gorgeous Italian boys!

This book cover just reminds me so much like a teen movie cover. It's fun and bright, and looks like it will be  the perfect summer read.
“So,” he starts slowly, “if I am thinking that I want to kiss you, I should not say it out loud?”

Oh, he’s completely messing with me now. Taunting me. I feel tears of shame and rejection rise to my eyes.

Please,” I manage to say in as withering a tone as I can manage, “I thought you were all about telling the truth. And now you’re nothing but a big liar.”
I thought this book had a great beginning. It seemed like it was going to be about a girl discovering who she is, and with a little romance on the side. It had a great start, but it started to get slow towards the middle. At one point, I was about to give up on this book.

However, it does pick up towards the ending.

I had trouble connecting with the main character. There were parts where I thought her snarkiness was needed, but sometimes she would over think things and it got frustrating. The most frustrating thing was the romance between Violet and Luca. I admit I went a little crazy when they kissed, but that’s because I’m a romantic. Violet is just so keen not to fall head over heels over him like the other girls do.

That was another thing that I had trouble with. Violet goes to Italy to discover why a woman from the past is a spitting image of her. She finds a summer school that teaches everything about Italy from the wine to the language. Three other girls also come along to learn at this school. You think this would be like summer camp and the girls connected and became friends. It isn’t like that though. I wasn’t sure if these girls were friends but just roommates.

They party together, tons of Italian guys to share, have a common enemy, and spend 24/7 hours together. You would think they would have connected a little more. At least that was what I was hoping for. Violet really only becomes friends with Kelly and not the American girls. Maybe this will all change in the next book.

There was some mystery but not a lot of answers. I wanted to find out more about why Violet looks like this girl from Italy, but you only get half-answers. The ending came out good though, so I hoping we get more answers in the sequel.
The sequel is titled Following in Love in Italian and comes out sometime in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment