Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sarah's Review on My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick (@huntleyfitz)
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Release Date: June 14, 2012
Format: E-galley
Pages: 400
Source: Netgalley
Rating: Escapable
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over.
This is by far one of my favorite covers of 2012. It's so cute and the perfect summer cover.
I could swear he was looking at me like he wanted to kiss me. What’s stopping him? Maybe he isn’t attracted to me at all. Maybe he just wants to be friends? I’m not sure I can pull off being just friends with someone whose clothes I want to rip off.

Oh God. Did I actually just think that? I steal another look at Jase in his jeans. Yes. Yes, I did.
This is by far the cutest, most heartwarming story I have read so far this summer! The characters, the plot, and ah, the romance were all just amazing to read.

Samantha Reed has a very privileged life. Her mom works hard and has a trust fund. Ms. Reed makes sure the girls are always busy and makes them work hard. Sam is the perfect daughter. She does well in school, works two jobs, and stays away from trouble. But Sam does have secret that she knows will make her mom mad. Sam doesn’t think the Garretts are bad, irresponsible people, like her mom tells her. She thinks the Garretts are fascinating, and has watched them from her roof for years.

Her life is organized and sometimes lonely, when her mom works as a senator and goes to events. Her sister is spending the summer in a vineyard. I think watching the Garretts give her comfort. Her life changes when Jase Garrett comes up to her roof.

It is awkward at first because Sam wants to keep her spending time with Garretts a secret. It’s awkward for her, but fun for us to read about. Then when it comes to Jase and Sam being a couple, just ah! I love them as a couple and couldn’t see it any other way. Jase kind of brings out everything out of Sam that she has been keeping in. She feels like herself around him. Jase is just the perfect guy/gentleman.

The characters are what made me love the story. They felt so real. I love Sam and Jase, but the Garretts are the best. They all have different personalities and they have crazy life-style, but you can see that they are really about family.

The reason I think this makes it such a perfect summer read because not only does it happen during the summer, it’s long too. Not the lifeless long, because there is a lot of drama and romance and funny moments that makes it perfect just to lounge in the sun and read.

A little side-note: I usually listen to music while reading because I need some type of noise. Anyways, Arms by Christina Perri was the perfect song for this read. I had it on repeat for at least half of the book. Line from the song: “You put your arms around me and I’m home.
This is her latest release.

No comments:

Post a Comment