Saturday, August 11, 2012

Alice's Review on Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J. Maas (@SJMaas)
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: August 7, 2012
Format: Advance Reader's Copy
Pages: 416
Source: Publisher
Rating: Escapable
Series: Throne of Glass #1
The Other Books:
Challenge: Debut Reads of 2012
Extras: Trailer
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.
I love this cover! I like the fierceness of Celaena and being able to see the glass castle behind her.
Yes, she would go—to Rifthold, to anywhere, even through the Gates of the Wyrd and into Hell itself, if it meant freedom.

After all, you aren’t Adarlan’s Assassin for nothing.
I couldn’t wait to read this book from the moment I heard about it. I heard that this book was supposed to be The Game of Thrones for young adult. I immediately started reading this book when I received it from the publisher. Yes, I did squeal when I opened the package to it and saw it.

The main focus of this book is about Celaena becoming the King’s Champion. Celaena was imprisoned in a salt mine, where most don’t survive, for being the kingdom’s greatest assassin. The Crown Prince makes her his champion for the games, but Celaena is only doing this match for one thing. Her freedom.

The first thing you will notice when first reading Throne of Glass, the character Celaena grows on you. At first, I was thrown off how highly she thought of herself. She kept thinking of ways to kill someone, or finding an escape routes, or reminding everyone she is the empire’s greatest assassin. I can understand why the king wanted to keep her identity a secret. Who wants people to know that their kingdom was bested by a woman assassin? And not just any woman, but a young one.

I think what makes the story the most interesting is that Celaena is a girl. A girl going against thieves, assassins, soldiers, and pretty much all kinds of different types of men, for the chance to be the king’s main assassin, is so unexpected yet thrilling. No one thinks she is going to win, and you sitting on the edge of your seat to see her prove them wrong time and time again.

While I did like how the Champion games were set up and how Celaena spent her time training, I wish we got more scenery scenes around the kingdom. If you are big fantasy fan, like me, I always love the author’s details on the worlds they created. I want to be pulled into that world and learn everything about it. You do learn about characters from different parts of the empire but I am hoping for more in the sequel.

As for the mystery, you don’t get much until around a hundred pages in. The killings are pretty gruesome. And then the mystery becomes even more sinister, once you find out who is behind all of the murders. I kept thinking that Celaena is going to get hurt sooner or later.

As for the love triangle, I think Sarah did a really amazing job with that. Both of the guys knew different things about Celaena. I think Chaol understand Celaena more than Dorian. He trained with her, and is with her almost every day. He knows some personal things about her as well. I guess that makes me Team Chaol :). As for Prince Dorian, I think he just wanted some excitement in his life. What is more exciting then having a girl assassin in your bed and knowing you might not wake up ever again? Just kidding. There are some parts in this novel, where I was all in to be Team Dorian. Ah. He really is handsome.

I can see a lot of fantasy lovers enjoying this book. The fantasy, the magic, the thrill of the fighting, a creepy mystery, and best of all, a kickass, charming gal like Celaena, all of it will make you want to devour this book in couple of hours. This deserves all the hype it’s getting, and it is a book you don’t want to miss.
Latest release. No news on sequel title or release date.

No comments:

Post a Comment