Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Danny's Review on The Goddess Legacy

The Goddess Legacy
Author: Aimee Carter (@aimee_carter)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: July 31, 2012
Format: Paperback
Pages: 395
Source: Bought
Rating: Escapable
Series: Goddess Test #2.5
The Other Books: The Goddess Test, Goddess Interrupted, The Goddess Inheritance
Challenge: None
Extras:
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows.

Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others; but never knew true loss before….

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….
Hmm...I trying to figure out who this girl is. I think it's Hera but it could also be Aphrodite. Hmm... I am just going to go with Hera. Either way, love how it matches the other covers and when are we going to see the final book cover!?
Today wasn't forever, and neither was a millennium. Time would pass, convictions would fade and soon this moment would be nothing more than a memory. One day, I would set things right. I would be queen again. And no matter what it took, Hades would be my king.
I tried to read an anthology before but never got into it. I felt like I was reading short stories from school. You know how they have huge book filled with short stories or cut out scenes from novels and never the full book. I think the only ones they did have the full book were either Shakespeare stuff or I think the Odyssey. Anyways, I never get into short stories because I always want to know what happens next to characters.

However, this isn’t really an anthology with different writers contributing. This is collection of Greek stories rewritten by Aimee Carter. She gives us more of a behind the scenes view on what the Greek Gods and Goddesses are really like. We know how their stories end but this is more of their beginning. I really love the stories and getting to see them react like us humans do. I will break down each short story below and tell you rather I liked it or not.

The Goddess Queen
This one I really did like because we get Hera’s point of view. If you have read the series, you know Hera is the “bad guy” and tries to kill Katie multiple times. Also in the series, Hera is in love with Hades. In this story, you get to see why she was in love with Hades and how she ended up with Zeus. Hades left to be Lord of the Underworld and left Hera up above in Olympus. Hera felt betrayed by Hades and Zeus was there trying to win her over and make her queen. Her love for Zeus goes down hill and it becomes heartbreaking to watch Hera to go through with it all alone. I think viewing her part in of Greek mythology makes me understand why she is does everything she does in the Goddess Test series.

The Lovestruck Goddess
This story is about Aphrodite. It was okay but I felt like I already understood Aphrodite. She is goddess of love, which usually I always thought she only cared for when it came to lust. However, she also cares about love between families and being able to choose who you love. You get to see that there are different kinds of love. Zeus is choosing Hephaestus to be her husband, but Aphrodite wants to choose Ares because she loves him. In the end, she sees that she also has a different type of love for Hephaestus.

Goddess of the Underworld
This story is about Persephone. I try reading this story but couldn’t really get into it. I think I already know all I can about Persephone and even, if I read this story, I know I still won’t care about her in the end. I think this is because I am really in love with Kate and Henry’s love story.

God of Thieves
This story is about Hermes or James. Ah! Finally, some humor. I love everything about his story. It’s just his personality really shines. He just wanted to belong somewhere after being blamed for Persephone leaving Hades. By the ending of this story, you get to see why the gods and goddesses changed their names.

God of Darkness
This story is about Hades or Henry. This is my favorite of all the stories. We finally get too see Henry’s point of view of things. The heartbreak after Persephone was hard on him and I get why he wanted to finally give up his position on the council. Being alone was just too much on him, especially when the girl who broke his heart was still in his realm. Then we see how much Kate means to him. It made me happy to read this.

I think I get why this is important to read this collection of stories. It is because you get to see that everyone has flaws, even the gods. Yeah some were good but you can’t have good without bad. Aimee has written yet another great novel and I still can’t wait to finally complete this series. Hopefully, it will all end in a good note. You kind of see how some of these stories ended with something bad happening and I really hope this doesn’t happen in Kate’s story.
Next book in the series is The Goddess Inheritance which won't be out until April 1, 2013.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Awesome review. I am a part of a Read-A-Thon that starts tomorrow and this is in my TBR list :) You totally have me excited to get to it!

    ReplyDelete