Monday, August 20, 2012

Ivy's Review on Anna Dressed in Blood

Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake (@KendareBlake)
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: August 30, 2011
Format: E-book
Pages: 316
Source: Kindle Deal
Rating: Escapable
Series: Anna #1
The Other Books: Girl of Nightmares
Challenge: TBR Pile Reading Challenge
Extras:
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.
This is one of my favorite covers of 2011. It gives you an idea what Anna the ghost looks like and the house she haunts. The story is beyond creepy and so is the cover!
But somewhere out there is one that matters. Somewhere out there is the one that I came for, one who is strong enough to squeeze the breath out of living throats.

I think of her again. Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood. I wonder what tricks she’ll try. I wonder if she’ll be clever. Will she float? Will she laugh or scream?

How will she try to kill me?
I have heard nothing but amazing things about Anna Dressed in Blood. There was horror, mystery, and even a bit of a killer ghost + a human boy romance. I thought this was going to be about a young boy killing ghosts after ghosts, and for once, a ghost saved him before he could kill her. And because she saved him, he falls in love with her. Ha, it is so much more than that.

I seriously couldn’t go to sleep until this book was done. It was the characters that had me so captivated, that I couldn’t step away from the book.

Cas is our main character and the story is told from his point of view. He decides to take on his father’s dangerous job, after his father was murder by a ghost. Yup, this guy goes around murdering ghosts. You think he would be somewhat of a creep or mad because he is going around killing things. Things that are already dead. How do you freaking kill something that is already dead!? Technically, he isn’t killing them. He stabs them with a special knife, then poof! they’re gone. Sometimes, it’s not easy killing them because he isn’t going against friendly ghosts like Casper. These ghosts have already killed people and are trying to kill him.

This is what draws me into the story right away. Cas is on a job hunt and is about to kill a ghost hitchhiker. Nothing to serious happened and Cas is ready for his next hunt.

Which brings us to Anna.

Anna is a lot more treacherous than the other ghosts that Cas has faced off with. When we first meet her, she tears a guy apart in two pieces. Man, does Kendare gives you all of the gory details. Cas is terrified but also fascinated because Anna didn’t kill him. And she kills everyone who steps in her house.

As for the romance between the two, I really didn’t get it. I knew Cas cared about what happened to Anna and how she dead. He just couldn’t kill her afterwards. But I still didn’t get why there was a romance. A friendship makes more sense.

The horror aspect was average compare to other books. It did go from scary, to understanding, and then back to scary again. Lots of gory details! Anna did scare the crap out of me when we first meet her. Then there was something else that scared me. All in all, the horror had great parts but the book is also about Cas growing and Anna changing.

The book was awesome and unforgettable. After the part where Anna splits the guy apart, I couldn’t go to sleep. It wasn’t because I was scared of having nightmares. I was actually camping when I read this book and I was scared of a bear shredding me into pieces.

I would recommend this book to fans of horror.
Next book in the series is titled Girl of Nightmares and was just recently released. I don't want to say much without ruining the first book, but you can kind of see what might happen on the cover. Is that Hell? I do have this book on my Kindle so, I will be reading it soon.

You can check out Girl of Nightmares with the links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment