Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ivy's Review on The Raft

The Raft
Author: S. A. Bodeen (@1turducken)
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Format: E-galley
Pages: 231
Source: Netgalley
Rating: Reachable
Challenge: None
Extras: Facebook
Seek: Amazon, Goodreads
Robie is an experienced traveller. She’s taken the flight from Honolulu to the Midway Atoll, a group of Pacific islands where her parents live, many times. When she has to get to Midway in a hurry after a visit with her aunt in Hawaii, she gets on the next cargo flight at the last minute. She knows the pilot, but on this flight, there’s a new co-pilot named Max. All systems are go until a storm hits during the flight. The only passenger, Robie doesn’t panic until the engine suddenly cuts out and Max shouts at her to put on a life jacket. They are over miles of Pacific Ocean. She sees Max struggle with a raft.

And then . . . she’s in the water. Fighting for her life. Max pulls her onto the raft, and that’s when the real terror begins. They have no water. Their only food is a bag of Skittles. There are sharks. There is an island. But there’s no sign of help on the way.
This cover would look awesome but the girl just creeps me out. Her blank stare is what made me curious about the book.
The life vest was ripped from my arms as I zoomed through the air. The blast of wind and rain took my breath away so that the scream coming up from my gut stopped dead.

The falling lasted forever, my arms windmilling in the void. I wanted to stop moving.
This book is one of my second survival books ever. I did remember reading The Cay in school because our teacher made us do these blind games and how it would feel like to be blind. I try to avoid these types of books because I don’t want to think about characters fighting for their survival and them dying in the end. I want characters to survive.

However, I was on a book rut and needed something new to read. Someone suggested to read something out of my comfort zone, so I clicked this book on Netgalley and requested it. When I got approved, I took it as a sign that I needed to read this.

The Raft is about a girl named Robie. On a last minute decision, she decides that she wants to go home. She needs to take a cargo plane to the small island of Midway. The plane begins to have trouble and is going down. Max, a co-pilot, saves Robie and himself before they could go down with the plane. Max was able to set up a raft before falling out of the plane. Now they must survive on the raft, and hope someone finds them soon.

You don’t really connect with any character but Robie. The book is told from her point of view and you really do see her struggling to stay in control. Max, the only person with her, doesn’t talk much and is sleeping through half the novel. When he does talk or do something, it is to help them survive.

Then the story gets more twists and really does look like they aren’t going to make it. Bodeen does take me by surprise. By the ending of the book, I was tearing up. There were just so many emotions going through my head. I’m glad she survived. I don’t think that’s a spoiler because you kind of know she is going to in the end. You know she’s going to survive, but finding out how she survived, that’s the amazing part.


Overall, I liked parts of Raft but when I was finally done reading, I thought it was okay. The book definitely helped me out of my reading rut. However, I am still just not the biggest fan of survival novels. I think people that like realistic fiction will love this book. It was light, quick read with some unforgettable moments.
This is her recent release.

No comments:

Post a Comment